Monrovia canyon - Bear

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
walker

Post by walker »

Rode my bike up Monrovia canyon to White Saddle and a bit beyond.

Surprised at how much water was in the creeks. Everywhere else has been so dry. Good flow at the trail crossing past the shooting range. Seems like there's lots of water in Sawmill and vicinity.

Got a very good look at an adolescent bear hanging out by the side of the road near a drainage where the road starts to switchback up the final stretch to the saddle. He was in the bushes munching on some berries. I must've been downwind of him because he didn't seem to mind me hanging out looking at him for a good five minutes or so from about 15 feet away. I was happy to see him up there foraging around instead of down at the picnic tables dumpster diving.

Beyond the saddle, seems like they've graded the connector road towards Rincon/Redbox with all the work on the power lines going on.

By the way, has anyone ever ventured down the road into upper Fish Canyon from White Saddle? From above, it looks like a remote, majestic and seldom visited watershed. However, the commitment factor is pretty big, once you go down in there, ain't no other way out but the way you came in, unless you're prepared to bushwhack all the way to the quarry.

Sorry, didn't snap pictures.