Easiest car camp in the San Gabriels?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

Trying to figure the closest car camping location (okay, maybe up to 1 miles hike from the car) from a departure place like Pasadena. ?? I can think of Mt Lowe Camp access from the North side (through Meuller Tunnel). Drawing a blank on anything else. Looking to head up with some buddies for the eclipse.....but not if it's going to be an ordeal.

edit- looking for something with a very open view of the sky. Thus Manker is out. Maybe Monte Cristo? Can't remember if that has a pure open sky view?
walker

Post by walker »

I was gonna say Millard campground, but not a good view of the sky.

Maybe about a mile hike to get there and I don't know if it's technically supposed to be a campsite, but what about the former Camp Sierra picnic area along sunset ridge?
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

If a short hike is OK, how about Waterman? The use trail up from Cloudburst Summit is pretty short, and there are some amazing spots that are both open to the sky and shielded from the city.
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

walker wrote: I was gonna say Millard campground, but not a good view of the sky.

Maybe about a mile hike to get there and I don't know if it's technically supposed to be a campsite, but what about the former Camp Sierra picnic area along sunset ridge?
I've been down to Millard (just the lot) a few times over the past couple months. There is a sign that reads "CAMPGROUND CLOSED". ??