Buckhorn and Cooper Cyn Water?

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Anyone know if the water spigot at Buckhorn is flowing.... and safe to drink?
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

The spigot is flowing and cold... ran through there today.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yes, but it has typhus and colera. But you knew that, right? ;)

HJ
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Yes, but it has typhus and colera. But you knew that, right? ;)

HJ
oops! So far so good :D

Off topic - Went through there on a run from Islip to Chilao. Coming down from the Mt Hilyer Flinstsone Rocks i saw two differnt groups carrying up packs that looked like mini bed mattresses. Anyone have an idea of what those are? Some kind of rock climbing things?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

crash pads?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote: crash pads?
Sounds like it.

HJ
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Thinking of doing the Buckhorn/Cooper Cyn loop next weekend. Does anyone know if there is any water left in those creeks right now?

Thanks!

Tom
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Maybe too late, but I was there on 9/28. There is adequate flow near the Burkhart/PCT junction. At the Cooper Canyon campground, there is enough right now to support overnight camping. Not sure how long that will last though -- there's no appreciable flow at this point, just still-looking pools, so the refill rate can't be too high.
tarol

Post by tarol »

Can you give me directions to the loop? I'm looking at a topo and I see a bunch of different trails. Best time of year to do it? Thanks :)
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

The loop I have done twice goes like this. Drive all the way through the Buckhorn campground to the day use parking area for the Burkhart trail. Take Burkhart trail to the PCT junction and go left onto the PCT. After the Cooper Canyon camp, continue west on PCT, which will cross a fire road and then end up back at Hwy 2. Walk a couple miles east along the 2 (past Waterman) back to Buckhorn & walk through the campground to your car.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Thanks, Slowest_Hiker. We ended up doing Mt. Lowe that weekend instead, but plan to do Cooper soon anyway. I was particularly wondering if there was enough to cool the toes, but sounds like there is so little we'd just end up polluting the PCT'ers water supply! :(
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I've done Ze's loop but it's a bit tricky:
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=581575

Starting at the pull off between the Winston one and Buckhorn, you go up Akawie but there's no real trail from Akawie to Cooper Canyon Falls, I ended up going Akawie then over to the Buckhorn parking lot via questionable use trail (not the way in the map which is shorter) and then down to the falls from there. Everything after that is on a real trail (mostly the PCT). But the Winston Ridge turnoff is easy to miss if you haven't been there before, also easy to skip intentionally if you're too tired by then :)

Coming up from Cooper Canyon camp there's a fire road and a trail and I found that confusing the first time, but as far as I can tell they both go the same place and basically parallel each other. Someone correct me if this is wrong!

Great area though! Haven't been there in a while to speak to water...