Etiwanda Peak via Icehouse Canyon: 30 August 2014

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

What the heck. It was warm and why not go to elevation to cool off? Besides, we have Whitney in a couple of weeks and we needed the tune-up.

The middle section of the Icehouse Canyon Trail was a mess from the rainstorm a few weeks ago. Paths criss-crossed the area but we eventually found the trail.

Columbine Spring was very low. There was a thin ribbon of water that could fill a 1 L Nalgene in less than a minute.

Glorious sugar pines were seen once we passed the mildly crowded Icehouse Saddle.

We bypassed Cucamonga Peak and stayed on the Cucamonga Peak trail (or, according to the worn trail map at ICH Saddle, the Wilderness Crest Trail) towards Etiwanda a mile beyond the Cucamonga Peak use trail turnoff.

Looking back at the peaks of the eastern San Gabriels:

The trail between Cucamonga and Etiwanda was beautiful! We had the place to ourselves. It was as if we were in different mountain range in this old-growth area. The use trail to Etiwanda was well-marked with a tall cairn - it was hard to miss.

Etiwanda Peak (8662') is a "knife-edge summit" that is more dramatic than Cucamonga's flat broad summit.

Etiwanda Peak is almost exactly seven miles from the Icehouse parking lot. Our 14 mile round trip time was nine hours. The time included multiple rest stops and a half hour lunch at the top. The trail itself is in relatively good shape.

We also saw a buzzing rattlesnake at 8400'!

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Sweet trip Rambo. Etiwanda is still on my bucket list.

Disconcerting to see Columbine that low.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Forgot to add in a picture of Icehouse Saddle (left center) from the slopes of Etiwanda Peak...
Uncle Rico wrote: Sweet trip Rambo. Etiwanda is still on my bucket list.
It's worth it!
Uncle Rico wrote: Disconcerting to see Columbine that low.
Yup, I've never seen the spring that low. The creek down in Icehouse was very low, as well. Portions of the creek that should be flowing were dry.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nice trainer for Whitney.

Like Rico, I've never been to Etiwanda, but on the list. The summit looks cool.

Buzzworm at 8400'. I hope they start to disappear next month.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Great views from Etiwanda. One of my favorites. Thanks for the report about the spring and trail condition.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

thanks for the report. It looks like a two-fer for me next time up Cucamonga.