High speed rail wants to(aka will) tunnel through SGs

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Brought to you by our same "closure" folks...to the High Speed rail authority who adopted the idea of a tunnel dividing Little T & BigT so the rail doesnt bother the folks at Santa Clarita.

There are some public meetings from the announcement 2 days ago. They are happening rather quickly.

Heres the proposed tunnel route on Google Maps
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... SSkY66CdgY

Heres the public flyer, aka legal notice.
http://hsr.ca.gov/docs/programs/statewi ... 072314.pdf
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

This seems to get revived every decade by the descendent of the architect who built the Bridge to Nowhere, here's an article from 13 years ago with the same thought process.

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jul/29/local/me-27950
fortified

Post by fortified »

But.... I'm still waiting for the tunnels they promised in the 60's to blow smog out of L.A.
"In the 1940s and ’50s, as Los Angeles confronted its terrible new photochemical smog problem, people from backyard tinkerers to professional scientists and engineers proposed various techno-fixes for the problem: drilling huge tunnels through the nearby San Gabriel mountains fitted with fans to blow the smog out over the Mojave Desert; construction of vast, conical, black, heat-absorbing pyramids fitted with upward-facing fans to generate strong updrafts to puncture the inversion layers that held in the smog; having countless large helicopters hovering around the region, chewing up the inversion layer with their spinning rotors; having fleets of airplanes spray droplets of oil all over the LA sky to reflect away the sunlight that catalyzed the smog-forming process."
tracker

Post by tracker »

I bet they finish the 710 freeway before any tunnels are dug. :)
Gene
Old Dam Man

Post by Gene »

If they ever start, mark my words, they are going to have huge problems with faults and geology.
The study was conducted by Parsons Brinckerhoff, a New York firm considered a world leader in tunnel construction.
I would be curious to hear from the geologist(s) associated with that $1.8 billion study. I also wonder how many test bores they did on the route, none or not enough would be my guess. Pacoima, Big Tujunga and Little Tujunga canyons make almost 90 degree turns along an obvious fault line and there are no doubt others.

That said, a tunnel is not as ugly as concrete on top of the ground.[/quote]
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I predict this goes the way of other ANF transit projects -- where they spend a lot of money building it, until it crumbles, then they leave it there and walk away.
Gene
Old Dam Man

Post by Gene »

VermillionPearlGirl wrote: I predict this goes the way of other ANF transit projects -- where they spend a lot of money building it, until it crumbles, then they leave it there and walk away.
True! I can hear someone in the future say, "I found this concrete vent in a narrow little canyon, what the heck is it for?"
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Tunnel to nowhere.

Uncle Jerry is a fucking moron. 'nuff said.
fortified

Post by fortified »

"Uncle Jerry" AKA "Governor Moonbeam" want to run for President just like in 1976
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: Tunnel to nowhere.

Uncle Jerry is a fucking moron. 'nuff said.
Our beloved High Speed Rail says officially it will be completed seven or eight years from now....

And dont forget, to gratefully 'pay' for it, gas tax is expected to go up 15 cents per gallon on Jan 1.

Remember the promise of beach property and equality. We will drive the rich out of California and we will live at the abadonded beach front properties. Then we will live in the utopia our dear leaders, who are so much smarter than us, have been enlightened to. :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Word comrade. Word.