Gobblers Knob Road (3N31)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
orbitor

Post by orbitor »

Just did this one over the weekend following the directions from the HPS guide. http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/guides/16i.htm

Forest Road 3N31 off Lone Pine Canyon Road is definitely NOT for 2WD or passenger cars. It's a one-lane track with no turnouts, if two vehicles going in opposite directions meet it can get...interesting. At about mile 2 there is a runout coming down from the slopes above and creating a hump that blocks the road. High clearance is a must to overcome this section. Higher up there is a section with lots of small rocks that washed over the road. 4WD helps on the uphill.

The east side of the ridge burned in last year's Gobblers Fire, but the peak itself was not affected.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

5 years ago that road was very accessable in a 2wd vehicle. This was the biggest hazard on the road that day...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

But why did those chickens cross the road?

HJ
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Scared out of the brush by a couple of swinging machetes no doubt.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Ridiculously classic pic of those chickens...but I suspect they were checking out the real scene across the road.

David R

Post by David R »

That last chicken picture looks like Kauai, there are chickens everywhere on that island. We went hiking in Kokee State Park and were miles away from anyone and those damn birds were crowing almost as bad as the helicopters.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

David R wrote: That last chicken picture looks like Kauai, there are chickens everywhere on that island. We went hiking in Kokee State Park and were miles away from anyone and those damn birds were crowing almost as bad as the helicopters.
Its Kauai :D...like you said Gobbler Island.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Oops, I was wrong... My vote was for La Puente...
Taco

Post by Taco »

Too many lulz.