Peter Hillary Summits Denali, Completes Seven Summits

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Peter Hillary Summits Denali, Completes Seven Summits, Dedicates Denali To Sir Hillary
Posted by Jason A. Hendricks on June 20, 2008 |

EverestNews is reporting that Sir Edmund Hillary’s son, Peter Hillary, has just finished completing his bid for the highest summit on each of the seven continents. Peter Hillary also dedicated his last summit, Denali/Mt. McKinley, to his late father, Sir Edmund Hillary, who passed away earlier this year.

From Peter Hillary on EverestNews:

After the last six months of incredible memorials and farewells to my father it provided me with an opportunity to go back to where it all started: in the mountains that inspired us both. Completing the Seven Summits has been my salute to my father.

Peter Hillary’s latest summit came at 4am on June 17th in minus 40 degree temperatures and 30 knot winds. Denali, known for it’s harsh changes of weather patterns, represents the highest peak in North America.

Peter Hillary is no stranger to adventure. Many of you have probably heard the stories of how his late father, Sir Edmund Hillary, was the first to summit Mt. Everest, along with Tenzing Norgay, but most are probably not familiar with Peter. Peter’s accomplishments include forging a new route to the South pole, summiting Mt. Everest TWICE…and completing the first traverse across the Himalayan mountains. He can now add climber of the Seven Summits to his resume.

Peter Hillary has been working really hard to accomplish this goal and get it dedicated to his father, who died just 6 months ago. Nice to see things work out. Congrats, Peter!

source: skinnymoose.com
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the link - very interesting.

FYI, a couple members of this board, Rick and Mike, recently summited Denali - congrats - awesome!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Congrats to Rick K and Mike S, good shit guys!