20140405 This Here Canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Ty had his eyes on some canyons off the 330 just outta the city for awhile. On Saturday, we drove up and checked them out through binoculars. Yes folks, we're getting smarter.

I am bad at computers right now, so here is an Acme mapper link to the canyon in question:
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.15834,-11 ... hland%20CA

Not only am I terrible at computers, but I am terrible at typings/writings right now as well. Bear with me as I try to write about how cool our easy/relaxing/pretty dang fun day was doing another first descent with plenty of sharp, pointy plants, snakes, bugs, Poison Oak and Stinging Nettle in crotchal regions, moderate bushwhacking, and all of my stuff soaked in Redbull after a can popped in my packlid.

And LO! Hath our canyon be-ith. One can see where the bushwhacking starts (the Sycamores in the canyon) and ends at the confluence. Blackberry vines are so cool! I want more of those in my life! Luckily, I brought a massive knife/small machete today which made short work of most things.

I'm not sure if bushwhacking through typical San Gabe first descent canyoneering plantwall is a good outlet for physical aggression, or if it makes things worse.

Poison Oak doesn't usually affect me. Sometimes I get a minor reaction, as I have now with 4 bumps on my left forearm and one on my right tricep. I was in contact with a LOT of PO. Sometimes I grab a ton of branches and leaves and rub them all over my hands and arms to show off. I rarely have a reaction from that.

Ty starts our hike up.

Looking out near our drop-in. Poppies blooming. Real nice up there at that moment, with a cool breeze and lots of animals. Spring.

Our drop-in anchor, a deadman with angry ants. We rappelled 200ft down a slope steep enough to be a real pain in the ass to downclimb. Much better rappelling.

The next rapp looked downclimbable if you didn't mind yanking on some Poison Oak, so I had Ty rapp off me so he wouldn't get any PO.

Ty rapps another dryfall. Not sure how many we had that day, maybe 8?

There's a dose of typical canyon travel.

Then, we came to the bushwhacking. I think Ty probably got some rad pics of me chopping away at various vines and unpleasant things.

That thick wall of plants behind Ty is where we came from.

Then we had a final rappel, another double stage. Did a minimum amount of gardening to keep the pull clean and we were done.

Now we need a name for the canyon.

Thank you for bearing my rant and glazing over at the sight of my photos.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Nice, Taco! Looks like your ropes took a real beating...
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

A fine day out in a brushy canyon. I wouldn't believe the stories about you grabbing PO if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

I hope there's a canyon nearby that you can call "That There Canyon".
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Another gnarly canyon. Kudos. Good clean dirty fun.

You were only a little ways behind Harrison Mountain, the first mountain on the south side of the 330.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I think we will name this canyon 'That There Canyon'.

This one drops off the westside (WESSSSSSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!) of Harrison Mtn.