Some History on Chilao featuring Mr. Newcomb

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Daniel's latest article. Not everyone was happy with the building of the Angeles Crest Highway.

http://www.kcet.org/socal/departures/sa ... riels.html
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Cool....I think he wouldnt be too disappointed with how it is today. From my take of things, it appears that many people have stepped up to take care of it. I can hope in that spirit that it wont be social mediacized to death.

Oh...but he would be so pissed about that Caltrans acreage :lol:
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Augie, I think your son not only has talent at saying a lot in a realtively small amount of written space but he also is very good at conveying 'time and place' in his San Gabriel mountain's articles.

I totally got caught up conjuring what Chilao pre Angeles Crest Highway mighta been like and how sad Newcomb must have felt seeing such drastic changes.

Chilao is such a beautiful area... Not sure how many cabins/residents were up there when the ACH opened but that must have been a shocker... talk about an overnight alteration for all up there and that includes all the critters...

So thanks once again Daniel!! This article had lots of Newcomb info I'd never seen before and it really told a solid story...
Hayduke

Post by Hayduke »

Chilao is still a pretty quiet area, all things considered.

Not hard to find a quiet spot up there.
Augie

Post by Augie »

outwhere wrote: Augie, I think your son not only has talent at saying a lot in a realtively small amount of written space but he also is very good at conveying 'time and place' in his San Gabriel mountain's articles.

I totally got caught up conjuring what Chilao pre Angeles Crest Highway mighta been like and how sad Newcomb must have felt seeing such drastic changes.

Chilao is such a beautiful area... Not sure how many cabins/residents were up there when the ACH opened but that must have been a shocker... talk about an overnight alteration for all up there and that includes all the critters...

So thanks once again Daniel!! This article had lots of Newcomb info I'd never seen before and it really told a solid story...
Thanks Outwhere. I'll pass along to Daniel.

As a follow up to the Newcomb article, we managed to find the remains of Newcomb's cabin near Chilao Creek (only about a half mile or so from the the restaurant). A photo we saw from 2006, showed most of an intact structure; what remains now is only a chimney.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Interesting article. Thank you for sharing it. I've passed it along to some friends.