20140220 Twin Peaks Rock Crimbing

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Today, Tristan and I checked out the climbing opportunities around Twin Peaks. We hiked up, had a look around, and then checked out an objective we decided on on-site.

We hit the biggest crag closest to the summit of East Twin. We did a 2 pitch 5.7 or so, with both pitches being pretty dang fun. We then descended the north side and went up the face visible from the saddle, which was very easy.

The crag, which I have labelled 'Swagrocrag'.

Ledge campsite. Just stashed our extra stuff here for the time.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM....

This traversing crack is pitch 1 of our 2 pitch 5.7.

Tristan climbing. It's easy but very exposed, very cool. Lots of knobs and stuff, all solid.

Looking down P2

Pitch 2

The rest of the photos be here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacodelrio ... 291679625/

Cheers
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Really cool beans, etc. Gots to be tons of this kind of random climbing stuff all over the place. Very isolated but still fun to explore I imagine.

Checking out that last picture - looks like lots of stuff over on west twin and the ridge heading west from it (AW's favorite obsession!).
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Indeed. There's probably some cool stuff on the west side of West Twin, just hard to get a picture of that area to decide if I want to hike that far.

The rock was super good quality. Only bummer is it's all just ridges faces and tower things spread all around so you never get one real solid route in, just a bunch of single pitch routes. It's like walking 10 miles to climb at a roadside crag, but nobody is there and you can give it a silly name.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Really bitchin' stuff!

It is great to see some angles around the Twins that I would never see myself.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

What I need for the area is a drone :D

or even

Nice tr!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Excellent! There's no place like drone. 8)