Cucamonga Peak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
DaBaba

Post by DaBaba »

If y'all will indulge me, I'd like to submit my first post on this forum.
Yesterday I joined some friends for a hike to Cucamonga Peak. We got a late start, as usual when hiking with a group, and set off at 8:20. I've only been hiking for a year and been working my way up from little strolls to decent hikes. I'd been to the Saddle 3 times, but never had the energy to push on, although the last time I was tempted.
We made it up to the Saddle in a little over 2 hours, well I did, the others got there first. Nothing to brag about, but my best time. I was still huffing and puffing, but fewer breaks and less complaining than before. We decided to bypass Chapman and go straight up because we knew we had a long walk ahead of us.
After a brief rest at the Saddle we set off for the Peak. Ran into patches of snow, but much less than when I was up at the Saddle 3 weeks before. Nothing too bad, and only short stretches. Still it was enough to cause me to slip and fall, bruising my dignity and bending one of my poles. I was a little dicey on the ice after that, but managed to stay upright, unlike three out of 4 of my companions, all of whom each hit the ground at least once. Still this early in the year, who would have thought it was so clear and warm?
I was a little disheartened by the downhill stretches, knowing that we would have to make up that elevation later, but I persevered.
After the next saddle (Bighorn?), the next stretch was tougher for me, especially the rocky narrow sections and the remaining icy ones weren't that great either, but really nothing to complain about, although I did.
After a couple of short breaks to catch my breath we made it to the post, thankfully the people who past us coming down steered us to the right and the peak. Quite a few people told us they went left.
The last section was easy but I was worn out and thanks to a friend who practically pushed me up I made it to the top after taking a couple of breaks in the last couple hundred yards. It's amazing how quickly you recuperate after you make it to the top. A little under 4.5 hours to the peak, which I thought wasn't too bad for a fat old man.
We stayed up top enjoying the views and snapping pictures, none of which I can figure out how to post here, you've all seen it anyway.
When we went back down we found my SIL who had overslept and got to the trailhead almost 2 hours after us. He was perched on a rock .75 miles from the top but the poor kid must have run up because he was all played out and came back down with us. Next time. Still I was happy that he made the effort.
It was a long walk down, and the uphill sections going to Ice House Saddle were a bitch. My calves were burning, thighs aching, legs wobbly,toes throbbing and dogs barking when I reached the parking lot last as usual and way behind at 4:30, but feeling pretty good.
I'll be back once the memory of the painful trudge recede into the mists of memory and the joy of reaching the summit remains unabated.
See you at the top. I'll be the fat slow old guy with the white beard and orange hat that you pass coming and going.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Cucamonga is awesome! Thanks for the TR...keep 'em coming.
RCKSIL

Post by RCKSIL »

Thanks for this Report. Always enjoy reading them.

Rick
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

DaBaba wrote: I'll be back once the memory of the painful trudge recede into the mists of memory and the joy of reaching the summit remains unabated.
This is a summary of a lot of great hikes! That last couple hundred yards is tough, pretty much straight up until there is no more up.
Thanks for the TR.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

If you can hike Cucamonga (11.8 miles RT, 4300 feet vertical gain), then you are not that old, that fat or that slow. Thanks for the report and good luck!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nice accomplishment and report. Not an easy hike, even without snow and ice. My only request...pictures next time!
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

thanks for the tr. Cucamonga is a great hike. Welcome to the real world. It is really not how fast you hike nor how elegant you are, it is all in the doing, you and the mountain communing on the way to the summit or down the trail to some canyon or remote place. I hope to see you on the trails.

Jerry
DaBaba

Post by DaBaba »

RichardK wrote: If you can hike Cucamonga (11.8 miles RT, 4300 feet vertical gain), then you are not that old, that fat or that slow. Thanks for the report and good luck!
Trust me, I am exactly as described, but I am out there every Saturday and Sunday punishing myself for my past sins. Mt. Baldy for the second time last weekend. You'll recognize me on the trail, i'm the old geezer that looks like Santa Claus on vacation, huffing and puffing my way to the summit.