Rubio's East Fork and Cowry Crack

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

On President's Day I easily convinced Willie to join me on yet another one of my ridiculous hiking trips. This time we tackled something I am dubbing Cowry Crack.

From the above view it sort of resembles the ventral opening of a cowry shell.

We started in Altadena and made our way up the Lone Tree Trail until it turns right to head up through the oaks. At this point we departed the Lone Tree and ventured down my secret trail into the East Fork of Rubio Canyon.

We climbed and scrambled up the still-flowing creek until the East Fork turned sharply to the right. Here there was a 15-foot waterfall obstacle.

And at this bend in the creek, immediately on our left, was the obvious beginning of Cowry Crack.

The gully was much cooler than I had imagined it would be. Right away we encountered tough class 3/4 climbing features, sometimes with unreliable breakaway holds. They definitely put some fear into us and often required our full attention and care.

Even Willie, who often climbs with a camera in one hand, had to put the documentary on hold once in awhile and devote all of his limbs to the art of survival.

Next came a relatively short stretch of steep scree before we popped out of the crack onto Castle Point.

From this location we had an awesome 360-degree view of Inspiration Point, Rubio Canyon, Echo Mountain, and Altadena.

tekewin

Post by tekewin »

That is some crazy rock climbing. Sweet! :!: