From Gray to Brown

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

A little late, but here's some pics from my trek to Brown Mountain last Sunday. I started at Eaton Saddle, followed the Mt. Lowe fire road to the junction with trail 12W08, followed that west to Tom Sloane saddle, and then ascended the visible use trail up the east ridge to the summit. I used Augie's very useful Summit Post page as my guide.

I almost didn't go. When I woke up Sunday, the morning was gray and dreary and I didn't feel much like going into the mountains, but I forced myself out the door anyway. Driving up the ACH, the heavens suddenly opened up around Clear Creek to reveal a stunningly gorgeous sunny and clear day. If you were lucky enough to be out, you know what I'm talking about. It ended up being my best day in the San Gabes so far this year.

Fog creeping up Eaton Canyon

PDB still pretty thick along the Mt. Lowe Road (Btw, that is not snow. I have no idea what my camera is doing here)

Mt. Lukens above the clouds

Disappointment and San Gabriel Peak

Saddleback above the clouds

Brown Mountain from 12W08

Trail Conditions

More trail conditions

Bear Canyon from 12W08

Brown Mountain from 12W08

Use trail up Brown's east ridge

Looking back to Eaton Saddle

Brown's false summit

False summit again

Brown Mountain from false summit

Summit view south

Cairn atop Brown's summit

Puff Daddy was here

Disappointment, San Gabriel Peak, Eaton Saddle, Markham, and Lowe from Brown's summit

Fog receding from Millard Canyon

Greenery along the trail

Bear Canyon

Baldy from Mt. Lowe Road near Markham Saddle

Clouds receding from Eaton Canyon

The old trail along the south face of San Gabriel Peak. Holy shizzle.

The old trail, another view. The Mueller tunnel is out of frame immediately to the right.

Baldy from the Mt. Wilson Road
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice day for that hike.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Awesome shots, Rico.

I like Saddleback island in the sea of clouds. The front range is the only place I've looked down on a solid blanket of clouds/fog that stopped around 4000'. Cool visual.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Very nice, Uncle Rico!
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Very nice pictures. That same day I was heading up the Lowe Road from Millard while you were heading down from Eaton.

I got above the clouds, looked over at the saddle and wondered if anyone was on their way to Brown.

Now I know the answer. And knowing is half the battle!