Article on Measuring the Speed of Light in the San Gabriels

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Augie

Post by Augie »

My son's article on measuring the speed of light in the 1920's by shooting a beam of light between Mt. Wilson and Lookout Mountain. We hiked up to Lookout Mountain [#2 to be technically correct] last Saturday where Daniel took the color photos in the article.

http://www.kcet.org/socal/departures/sa ... riels.html
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Great set of articles, Augie!
Augie

Post by Augie »

Thanks Mike.
fortified

Post by fortified »

Yes, great article. However...Lets say light is standing still. We are moving/collapsing at the speed of light in space-time. Light is standing still, which makes it look like its moving..at the "speed of light". It also explains why the galaxies are moving away.
So, as Einstein shows that time stands still if you speed up to the speed of light, think of it in the opposite. The faster you go....the closer to standing still you would, because everything around you is still collapsing at the speed of light. It also helps understand how light can bounce off a wall with no loos of speed for hitting the wall.
If this is not clear, just think of an opposite of the big bang. Matter is shrinking, making it appear everything is expanding. How does my explanation of my theory relate to hiking? writing it makes me need to go hiking ...see ya..
Augie

Post by Augie »

fortified wrote: Yes, great article. However...Lets say light is standing still. We are moving/collapsing at the speed of light in space-time. Light is standing still, which makes it look like its moving..at the "speed of light". It also explains why the galaxies are moving away.
So, as Einstein shows that time stands still if you speed up to the speed of light, think of it in the opposite. The faster you go....the closer to standing still you would, because everything around you is still collapsing at the speed of light. It also helps understand how light can bounce off a wall with no loos of speed for hitting the wall.
If this is not clear, just think of an opposite of the big bang. Matter is shrinking, making it appear everything is expanding. How does my explanation of my theory relate to hiking? writing it makes me need to go hiking ...see ya..
Interesting fortified. Hiking, especially solo hiking, can leave us to formulate thoughts such as yours!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

What does shrinkage have to do with hiking? :wink:

Good stuff Augie & son!
Augie

Post by Augie »

Thanks HikeUp.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Fun articles, thanks for sharing these! :)