A few of our community members:

Larry, Curly, and Mo:

Some days you just feel lazy...
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

LOL@the coons.
tracker

Post by tracker »

Watch how quick the critters move back in after the fire. It always amazes me.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Several full moons that night!

Mange. This one is solo and doesn't mingle with the rest of the gang.

Now, if I can just get this guy to kick some fox squirrel ass, I'd be happy. Alas, I believe that fox squirrels "out-compete" the grays.

So far, post-fire, the animals haven't changed much. The ringtail, raccoons, and foxes still hang out over here. There are lots of deer and coyotes. I'm hoping the fire didn't create a barrier for the bobcats and mountain lions. Haven't seen our big bear lately, though...
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Great shots! Poor mangy 'yote. :(

Maybe your bear is snoozing from the cool temps. I haven't had a bear on camera in about a month, though those cams are higher up (about 5k'). Still, it's noticeable. Actually my friend Robert, who has cameras in Big Dalton, also hasn't seen bears in a while.
tracker

Post by tracker »

cougarmagic wrote: Great shots! Poor mangy 'yote. :(

Maybe your bear is snoozing from the cool temps. I haven't had a bear on camera in about a month, though those cams are higher up (about 5k'). Still, it's noticeable. Actually my friend Robert, who has cameras in Big Dalton, also hasn't seen bears in a while.
Set a camera above Sierra Madre Villa. Mom and one of two cubs didn't even slow down this winter.
One of your Verdugo lions is taking up a bad habit - Snatching dogs from back yards. Today's victim, one of 4 this month, will live. 10xx Hamline, Burbank. It was a 90 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback. :shock:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

tracker wrote: One of your Verdugo lions is taking up a bad habit - Snatching dogs from back yards. Today's victim, one of 4 this month, will live. 10xx Hamline, Burbank. It was a 90 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback. :shock:
Ruh-roh...

Rhodesian Ridgebacks were bred to to hunt down lions in Africa. Apparently, this RR wasn't up to the task.

All kidding aside, what a shame for this mountain lion.
tracker

Post by tracker »

Actually, the guy has two RR's and two of the four attacks were in his yard. In each attack the second dog charged in and chomped the cat, breaking off the attack. :shock: I'd say some of their bloodline is still intact.
The danger to the cat is just from its increasing interaction with people. To a government agency, losing a dog is a property loss. It's the owner's responsibility to protect their property. This dog owner said he would be willing to work with Seth and Jeff, since the cat has been in his yard 3 times this month. I guess the NPS is looking to expand their study area.
arocknoid

Post by arocknoid »

Nice camera trap pics, Mike.

Poor coyote, especially now that cold weather is upon us. Soon it will be ".. buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."

Last year near South Fork/ San Gorgonio I saw one in even worse condition, almost completely hairless, emaciated; like that one mistaken for a Texas chupacabra.

Nice catch of the bandtail. Can you adjust the sensitivity/discrimination of the motion trigger for your camera? Do you get many/any pics of small birds like juncos, warblers, finches, chickadees etc?

and beware the pesky raccoon trio. Those rambunctious bandits have caused enough troubles in my own backyard..