pk 5878 Krakta Ridge & water along the ACH 1/14/14

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

peak 5878 is the drop-in ridge off of the Waterman trail/Krakta ridge to the North Fork Bear Creek canyoneering route. Starts off super steep and lessens to just steep, but there is no killer cliff-out unless you mess up. I returned by going up the north fork of bear creek to Twin Peaks saddle. The one water source on the trail here was basically worthless. After that I returned to my car at Islip Saddle. Still had some time left, so I checked out Little Jimmy camp&spring via the shortcut(STEEP). Then checked out the downhill portion of the fireroad that most people go up on the other side of the ACH to the PCT. The fireroad ended about elevation 6600, a spiffy unknown place.

ridge to pk 5878, the white patch on the upper left the reason why the Twin Peaks trail does not just contour and keeps on gaining elevation all the way to near MtWaterman.

pk5878, not very prominent, but has excellent views.

Twin Peaks

North Fork Bear Creek

Many trees heading back to the saddle

Little Jimmy campground

water supply - Cortelyou - completely dry even with snow on top.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Great photos! I found 5878 on the topo and it looks like a long way back to Islip Saddle. Can't tell exactly which way you went, but it looks very remote.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

tekewin wrote: Great photos! I found 5878 on the topo and it looks like a long way back to Islip Saddle. Can't tell exactly which way you went, but it looks very remote.
I was planning on doing the NF Bear Creek, so that is an exit via Smith Mtn and back up Hwy39. Thus the start from Islip saddle along ACH....about 5 miles distance one way from Waterman-that way I could drop off my stuff at Waterman and casually hike from Islip Saddle back to my stuff. When I hiked up and saw pk 5878, I was hmmming about just how steep the descent was, so I decided to stash the technical gear and see if the ridge was going to cliff out.

A similar tale with the North Fork Bear Creek. I was thinking of going down to the start of the technical section and at least get an idea of how big the first rappel is, but decided it was better to head up to the Twin Peaks saddle right away in case it was a logjam fest up to the saddle(it wasnt).

The only part XC was going down to the peak and back up to Twin Peaks saddle....everything else was trail or road.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

As always....cool beans dude!
AW wrote: The only part XC was going down to the peak and back up to Twin Peaks saddle.
I've always eyed that very "loop" - Buckhorn - 5878 - Twin Saddle - Waterman - Buckhorn. Now I know it can be done, but can it be done by me?! What's it like getting down to 5878 and then on down to the creek in terms of me doing it?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: Now I know it can be done, but can it be done by me?! What's it like getting down to 5878 and then on down to the creek in terms of me doing it?
I dont think you would like the initial 500ft part. I suppose the ridge is considered class 2 and class 3 to bypass class 4....but it starts off with a hefty slotish class 3 exposed downclimb off the side.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I've had folks ask me about that bump south of Kratka. Always figured it would be real nice and quiet out there. :)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AW...thanks for the honest assesment!

Taco...that is why I've always thought it would be worth the trek.