Dawn Mine Trails (Millard Cyn)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Trailblazr80

Post by Trailblazr80 »

Anyone know any open routes to Dawn Mine?

Just went up EL Prieto canyon the other day, almost to Sunset Ridge, and overheard some people talking about hiking back from the mine that day. I passed Sunset Ridge and ended up at a waterfall, so didn't get a chance to find out. Googled it and read somewhere online that there was an open route up near Sunset...?
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I haven't hiked in this area in forever, nor have I looked at the closure map in forever, but I believe there's two other ways to get there (other than via Millard Canyon which is the route i know is still closed).

http://www.mtlowe.co/images/MtLoweTrail%20Map.jpg
Trailblazr80

Post by Trailblazr80 »

Thank you! I'll just have to do a little research and see if I can pull it off.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Dawn Mine Entry Access Control Project
CE- Minerals and Geology In Progress:

Description: The Angeles National Forest proposes to improve public safety and comply with the direction of Forest Service Manual 2840.3 by eliminating human entry into the abandoned historic Dawn Mine. Closure methods will be selected on site-specific conditions
Location: UNIT - Los Angeles River. STATE - California. COUNTY - Los Angeles. LEGAL - The Dawn Mine is located in the SW1/4 of Section 27, T.2N, R.12W, SBBM, on the Pasadena, CA 7.5' Series Topographic Map. UTM coordinates are Zone 11, 395960E and 3787720m to 394849mN. The Dawn Mine is located in the SW1/4 of Section 27, T.2N, R.12W, SBBM, on the Pasadena, CA 7.5' Series Topographic Map. UTM coordinates are Zone 11, 395960E and 3787720m to 394849mN.
dima

Post by dima »

What is this? Boo!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Does anyone know the condition of the trail from Dawn Mine to Tom Sloan Saddle?
dima

Post by dima »

If this is still relevant... The trail is easily passable but faint in places. Definitely bring a GPS receiver and a good map (the openstreetmap data for this trail is correct). The trickiest navigation is at the bottom, including finding the turnoff.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

dima wrote: If this is still relevant... The trail is easily passable but faint in places. Definitely bring a GPS receiver and a good map (the openstreetmap data for this trail is correct). The trickiest navigation is at the bottom, including finding the turnoff.
good info. thanks!