Yucca in water

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

This guy was pretty much half alive. The other side, the stream-direct side was quite beat up but this side he was doing OK.

This guy couldnt be grounded though? He sure looked like it from a look at his bottom, which was likely over 2ft underwater.

Anyways, this one was unique as there were no other yuccas around anywhere nearby. I took a spiffy tug at him but he didnt budge one iota. No way they grow underwater though right? He certainly was huggeee though.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Probably just took a dive off a cliff. I've been growing them for years now in my yard (Yucca Whipplei?), and they don't seem to like excess water.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Where was that photo taken? If it's in a seasonal stream or in a stream that flows much less most of the year, the yucca could have gotten established and then just "hangs in there" during those limited times that the water is high. Yucca don't normally grow in stream beds, thank God.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

In the future, Yuccas will fly. The ultimate in wilderness defense.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hmm. All the more reason to invest in a climbing helmet.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Stream is year round. Likely will die out then before the year is out. Have to say Im rooting for it to survive though...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I wonder how it got so big in the first place.