Footwear Experiment in Icehouse Canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I decided to test the limits of footwear technology on Monday by ascending Icehouse Canyon in hiking sandals and no socks. It probably didn't help matters that I also skimped in other clothing categories, wearing only a pair of cotton pants, two long-sleeve shirts, decent but not great gloves, okay beanie, and a thin handkerchief wrapped around my face.

What did help, though, was waiting until Monday to do this, and letting the weekend hordes pack down most of the snow for me. White stuff, and some ice, covered almost the entire trail, starting from the beginning. I really had to be careful, especially along the icy stretch where water from Cedar Glen crosses the trail.

Initial conditions were tolerable. The temperature was probably mid-20s around 1pm. Wind was fairly steady at 10 or 15 mph with some stronger gusts.

At the current trail restoration site, I met some people who were coming down.

They spoke of intense wind and cold at the saddle. In return, I showed them my sockless sandals and indicated that I probably wouldn't be making it to the saddle.

When I reached the Cucamonga Wilderness sign, a mere 1.8 miles from the parking lot, my freezing toes finally started to hurt and lose some mobility.

It was time to put on the socks.

Even with socks, my toes remained ice cubes until they could be warmed up on the sunlit switchbacks.

After several minutes of basking in the rays, the feet felt slightly better, and I continued upward. As the switchbacks swung me toward the shady heart of the canyon, the wind would instantly pick up and the freezing process would dramatically increase again. Then I would reach the opposite turn and race back toward the sunlight. This continued until the junction with the Chapman Trail, which I decided to take back rather than brave Icehouse Saddle in inadequate attire.

The lesser-used Chapman Trail was not as firmly packed down as Icehouse. Occasionally snow would get into my sandals and cause issues. The worst part, though, was the north-facing section before Telegraph Wash. Small snowdrifts covered the trail, and I had to kick steps into a foot of snow with my sandals, while trying not to fall down the slope.

After crossing the wash, I spent several minutes blowing on my toes to warm them up.

The snow-drenched socks did not return to my feet. I no longer needed them, as the temperature and trail condition improved.

The remaining obstacles were minor: some ice in Cedar Glen; and back on the Icehouse Trail a busted water pipe that was flooding a large stretch of the trail.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

You my friend, are insane :lol:

It's amazing to see how much snow has been dumped in that area compared to when I was there a weekend ago.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I've done something just like this! :)

Generally in the winter I snow hike in non-waterproof five fingers (although this year, I'm actually going to buy waterproof ones for Christmas. Alas). And icehouse is one of my regular snow hikes (in inappropriate footwear).

I find the more often you do this through the winter, the easier it gets. One winter I could go for miles and miles in wet minimalist footwear without noticing after building up a solid tolerance. But generally, after summer, when winter comes back again, I have to rebuild from scratch.

One of the things I find most helpful, is pine needles. They dry the crap out of my feet it's amazing. Although, this has occasionally led to me cutting switchbacks in icehouse to dunk my feet in the pine needs and I'm sorry.

I recently hiked out of Dawson saddle in the snow with my husband in minimalist footwear and he made us turn around after a mile and a half :) It's not for everyone!
aklackner

Post by aklackner »

:?
Interesting. I completely fail to understand. I like my toes. At least my big toes they're useful, my pinky toes I could do without (I have a nasty habit of breaking them while chasing my cat around the house, then they f-up my hiking). Even so I'd not intentionally try for frostbite. I'm just wondering when you're going to try ice climbing barefoot, better get started on those toe nails.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

December 2012 was my first real snow hike up Icehouse Canyon and I turned around before the saddle because my feet were numb and face was freezing. The next trip I was appropriately layered and carried handfuls of chemical warmers. It's winter for shizzle up in the mountains. I won't be trying any minimalist gear this year ;)
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

aklackner wrote: Even so I'd not intentionally try for frostbite.
Me neither. I'm trying to build up a tolerance like PearlGirl. I have a problem with most footwear, so I want to see how far sandals will take me.

In Icehouse my right toe started hurting perhaps from the onset of frostnip, but that was as far as I would tolerate it before putting on the socks. I like my feet the way they are.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

VermillionPearlGirl wrote: One winter I could go for miles and miles in wet minimalist footwear without noticing after building up a solid tolerance.
Trailblazing in freezing temps is a pain though when the snow sticks to your footwear. That's what really causes problems for me. Waterproof socks or tape might be the solution.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

One does have to ask "why?" :lol:

HJ
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Hikin_Jim wrote: One does have to ask "why?"
From a psychological perspective, I find it entertaining and challenging to see how light and lean (gear-wise) I can get in winter conditions. It's a problem to be solved that keeps me mentally active on the trail. When my feet are in danger of freezing, I am super-motivated to find creative ways to keep them warm.

Also, I'm fascinated by people in places like Nepal and India who function physically at a pretty high level with no shoes whatsoever. I'm convinced that the minor foot problems I do have are caused by shoes. So I try now to limit use of them, and utilize more roomy footwear like sandals. Though I still use trail runners on most cross-country efforts. I don't think I'll go completely barefoot, as having to tip-toe around pointy/piercing objects would severely limit my pace.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

Yeah, I just hate heavy boots, they hurt my back. I find boots more painful than freezing feet (at least those are numb). Also I prefer the agility of my five fingers, especially off trail. Not to mention, if you happen to get wet inside your boot, I feel like that never goes away. With my current footwear, it actually dries off much faster (although gets wet constantly). Also, I'm also kind of just a weird minimalist hippie in the first place.

But yeah, snow doesn't seem to stick to my five fingers. Also I do usually wear wool socks, which are quick drying. But this year I am going to buy the waterproof five fingers (they have these new ones that seal around your ankle). Because like I mentioned, I find that over the summer I lose my tolerance completely and have to start up again from scratch and I don't feel like dealing with it every year.

But Sean is just kind of bad ass, I think we've just accepted this at this point.
DaBaba

Post by DaBaba »

I decided to test the limits of footwear technology on Monday by ascending Icehouse Canyon in hiking sandals and no socks
The thought would never have crossed my mind. Now I have a sense of morbid curiosity about it. My toes are already black and hammered, what's a little frostbite?