Lower Upper Big Tujunga, aka Mill Creek (?) 11/24/13

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

A friend of mine recently sent me photos of great bear tracks in the silt above the dam on Big T canyon road. It has been a couple of years since I'd been down there, so I decided it was time for a visit.

A brisk 43 degrees temp. had our jackets on and fingers quickly numbing as we hiked down the trail. We checked out the meager water flow over Josephine falls before heading downstream. We kept our feet dry on the first few crossings with some herculean efforts and lovely dance moves.

The wet sand was great for tracks, except that the recent rain made everything into indistinct craters. A short distance down the newly overgrown banks we came to the edge of where the reservoir level used to be, and hit dark silt. The heron tracks were the most fun - huge and somewhat frightening looking. We followed the meanderings of a small bear, many deer, one bobcat and a raccoon.

Found a set of deer legs. Not a complete set, just three, all below the knee. I suspect the bear was the culprit.

There are some dramatically buried trees still standing, making us wonder how many feet of silt had piled up, and what the canyon looked like several years ago. Or several hundred or thousand years ago.

Mmm, snacks.

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Wonder if that heron ever caught the bear it was following.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

HikeUp wrote: Wonder if that heron ever caught the bear it was following.
Actually, Hikeup, predation by Great Blue Herons is THE number one reason grizzly bears no longer exist in this range.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

The truth is finally revealed! Next, zombie herons.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Found a set of deer legs. Not a complete set, just three, all below the knee. I suspect the bear was the culprit.
Pretty creepy. I didn't know bears ate dear, or was it scavenging on a lion kill?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Tujunga Raptor tracks! :shock:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I'm sure Archie appreciated the "snacks". :) I mean what a meal!

In terms of whether or not you were on Mill Creek or Big Tujunga creek, take a look at this map. Do you see the red flag I've placed at the confluence, upstream from the reservoir? Unless you went upstream of the flag toward Hidden Springs, you were still in Big Tujunga Creek.

HJ