According to NFS, Off-Season Camping Allowed in Campgrounds.

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
briangroh

Post by briangroh »

I have heard mixed information over the years and have even been asked to leave by rangers themselves.

So I called the NFS this morning and was told that it is permissible to camp in Angeles Forest Campgrounds off season under most circumstances.

Campgrounds that are closed can be used as trail camps UNLESS they are closed for some other designated reason (hopefully posted as such.) The road likely will be gated, bathrooms locked and water spigots turned off. But if you can get to to it, you should be confident you're not breaking any rules by camping there.

He also says the website (link below) is current and accurate. I didn't push him on that point because the NSF site also says Buckhorn is "Open" which the ranger verified is indeed closed.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/angeles ... 2&actid=29
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Im not a FS lawyer, but I dont think you can camp there.

Dispersed camping is whats allowed, fire by fire permit only. Also camping at a closed primitive campground(which the Angeles forest doesnt even have). But not a closed development area....and that includes trailheads. By what you were told, that would mean you could camp at a trailhead or parking lot.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

AW wrote: Im not a FS lawyer, but I dont think you can camp there.

Dispersed camping is whats allowed, fire by fire permit only. Also camping at a closed primitive campground(which the Angeles forest doesnt even have). But not a closed development area....and that includes trailheads. By what you were told, that would mean you could camp at a trailhead or parking lot.
I don't think so. What the original poster was saying is consistent with what I've heard.

If you walk int to a campground that is under seasonal closure, you can camp there.

HJ