San Gabriel Mountains Deforestation

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Here is a website that deals with Global Forest Change using data from Landsat imaging. One can easily see the San Gabriel range deforestation due to the Station, Grand Prix, Curve, and Williams Fires.

http://earthenginepartners.appspot.com/ ... bal-forest
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That's wild.
tracker

Post by tracker »

Interesting site. I'll have to scour it closely when I have more time.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

It is disturbing.

The losses exceed the gains

But, will the losses remain over time.

It is difficult to look at something like this in black and white terms and draw any accurate conclusions IMO

Back in the early years of the San Gabriel mountains reserve the concerns where much the same on the local level.

This is what prompted Theodore Lukens to become "The Father of Forestry"

Old concerns are new again or did they ever go away?
tracker

Post by tracker »

Living and working within the ANF has me pondering questions about the forest all the time. Having passed the half-century mark a couple years ago I can say I'm a witness to a lot of events that have shaped the face of the forest.
As far as answers to my questions: A math Rambo might say there are a lot of variables in the equation.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

tracker wrote: Living and working within the ANF has me pondering questions about the forest all the time. Having passed the half-century mark a couple years ago I can say I'm a witness to a lot of events that have shaped the face of the forest.
As far as answers to my questions: A math Rambo might say there are a lot of variables in the equation.
Darn right! :)