Anyone done Telescope Pk (death valley area)?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

Might be heading up in early Nov. I would like to camp...but not sure if there's anything nearby. Car camping is fine, if it's within a reasonable distance from trailhead.

Also, general thoughts on Telescope would be appreciated. Just a shot in the dark :wink:
Pat

Post by Pat »

How about camping basically @ the trailhead? If gates/park are open, and your vehicle can deal with whatever the current road conditions may be, the trailhead parking is @ Mahogany Campground.

MAHOGANY CAMPGROUND
Picnic tables, firepits, and outhouse.
4x4 recommended
Elevation: 8200'
Season: March - Nov.

THORNDIKE CAMPGROUND
Picnic tables, firepits, and outhouse.
4x4 recommended
Elevation: 7400'
Season: March - Nov.

WILDROSE CAMPGROUND
LATITUDE: N 36°15.966
LONGITUDE: W 117°11.345
Elevation: 4175'
The campground is like a big parking
lot, but this is Death Valley and it's free.
Picnic tables(aluminum), metal firerings,
BBQ grills, outhouses, garbage and
recycle cans, and drinking water.
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

thanks Pat! Mahogany seems like the place. I have a 4wd SUV.....so that should be okay. I hate to beat on my truck though. Getting to and from Guffy was a real PITA for me. Oh well....sure it's be okay if done slowly.

Thanks for the info. Looks like that's the only established trailhead for Telescope; so, that's where we'll camp! thanks again!
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

I was planning to go this weekend until the storm and park closure happened. That area got 'touched' by the late September storm, and a better 'hit' by this past week's storm. Couple that with the National Park closure, and the odds of getting up to the trailhead are pretty slim right now (I'd bet its closed off). If I was you I'd wait until next spring (April-May), which also tends to have clearer skies. Its a fairly basic trail hike, and the views from the top on a clear day are probably the best you'll ever see. :D

FWIW: Post your question on the California forum on summitpost.org and you'll probably get more precise info from some of the OWnes Valley locals.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Have a look around these DV specific forums for some more info.

http://www.deathvalley.com/dvtalk/dvtalk.shtml
http://www.death-valley.net/forum/
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We hiked Telescope on the 4th of July a few years ago. I drove our Eagle Summit mini-van as far as Thorndike. There were passenger cars at Mahogany Flat. The road bed was mostly fist sized rocks. You did not need 4WD. High clearance and truck tough tires would be helpful. Note that road conditions change with the weather. The trail itself was well maintained and a not very hard hike. You might want to tag Rogers and Bennett Peaks while you are there. If conditions are ice and snow, then you must be prepared for full winter mountaineering. Some deaths have occurred on this trail in winter from falls.

By the way, deathvalley.com is mostly tea party rants about how much they hate the federal government's administration of Death Valley. Of course, the Briggs gold mine that is ripping the face off the Panamint Mountains is fine because they are a sacred private business. I quit reading that site a while back. Death-Valley.net is better with fewer rants and more real information.
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

Thanks Richard et al.....good info. Looks like, depending on recent weather conditions, the road should be fine for a 4wd truck. Probably no worse than getting to Blue Ridge or Guffy.

We're going Nov 1....that's set in stone.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Bob- I've stayed at Mahogany. Super nice. Went up in a 2WD Yukon with no problems. You shouldn't have any trouble if you've got 4WD. The trail to Telescope starts right near the entrance to Mahogany. As Richard mentions, the trail to the summit is well marked and easy to follow. 14 miles RT as I recall. Spectacular views of the Panamint Valley to the west and Death Valley to the east. You won't be disappointed. Have fun.
Pat

Post by Pat »

RichardK wrote: Death-Valley.net is better with fewer rants and more real information.
DVC can be a little caustic @ times, different demo, different perspective.

OTOH, @ DVN you can listen to SteveH and his fanboys complain about backcountry vandalism and pics of these 'secret' places being posted on the internet. This, of course, after he's given a step by step guide with maps and photos on how to get there.

Hey, better for the iPhone crowd, no work/research needed. Just look it up and go!
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Mahogany Flats is a nice campground and the trailhead is right there as stated before. There is no water so bring plenty. Depending on snow and ice, you should have no problem. It is a great hike.
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

BrownMtnBob wrote: Thanks Richard et al.....good info. Looks like, depending on recent weather conditions, the road should be fine for a 4wd truck. Probably no worse than getting to Blue Ridge or Guffy.

We're going Nov 1....that's set in stone.
If you're dead set on going Nov 1, check the Death Valley morning report on the DVNP website before you go. The Oct 18 report listed Wildrose Canyon as washed-out, probably from the recent storm that rolled through. I'll bet the NP staff will close it off season rather than grade it for whats left of the fall hiking season. Bummer, I'd like to get out there too, but I'll wait for springtime