Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

.........made me wonder if any of our world famous members were involved. :D
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

This is a fantastic story. I was just hiking Griffith Park two weeks ago and met a coyote that seemed unusually nervous. Maybe this is why he was nervous.

What a beautiful cat!
fortified

Post by fortified »

I was in the Park back in 2004 the day they saw (not p-22) a Mountain Lion. The rangers drove up and down the dirt roads telling everyone to leave now-Mountain Lion!!!. A helicopter above was doing the same thing. This time its quite a different story. Sometimes I go hiking there after hours when the park is closed. If you down the grassy fields, and golf courses, and sit still you will see endless deer, and many coyotes. On the trails a few skunks, many rabbits in select areas. At night in the winter Owls are common. I can see more animals in Griffith Park in one night hike, than ten years in the San Gabriel's. I have been told the lion is borderline fat. I am not to worried. I just don't want to run across some weird person in the closed park late at night, which has not happened......if you don't count myself. Ha.
They have a goal of connecting the Santa Monica, the Verdugo's, and The San Gabriel's all together so all wildlife can be connected. I don't think It's a good idea to connect Griffith Park with everything else. Bad for people, and animals. Problems will arise. Their will be many dead animals, a couple kids attacked by coyote's, more animals hit by cars, the deer will get eaten......
tracker

Post by tracker »

fortified wrote: I was in the Park back in 2004 the day they saw (not p-22) a Mountain Lion. The rangers drove up and down the dirt roads telling everyone to leave now-Mountain Lion!!!. A helicopter above was doing the same thing.
I was there that day too. I was called to evaluate a report of a sighting and to look at some tracks up by the "Bat-Cave". I was pretty sure there was a lion in the park but I didn't think much of it. After all, I had picked up a road-killed lion on Crystal Springs several years earlier so I knew it was possible.
The "experts" all said that a lion couldn't make it to Griffith Park.
P-22 - I owe you. You totally vindicated what I have been saying for years.