20130914 Dawson, Pine and Baldy

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Wanted to do something different so we left Manker at 5:10 AM headed for the Ski Hut, from there we turned up to the right in the spring/water drainage to gain the saddle between Harwood & Baldy, back to car by 12:23 PM.
From there we traversed across the north east face of Baldy above the south fork of Lytle Creek drainage over to the Dawson/Baldy saddle.
From there we went up the ridge to Dawson, over to Pine, back to main trail just below Dawson then up the ridge trail to the summit of Baldy.
From there we went straight down the face of the east bowl back to the Ski Hut and back to Manker.

Time 7hrs 13 minutes
Elevation Gain 6,301 Descent same
Warm day
ACME Mapper Version of Route Here
Slide show Pictures Here

Observations - no register on Dawson anymore anyone know if it's hidden?
We missed the Pomona College Speedo/Bathing Suit Brigade - yes approximately 100 hikers in speedo's and two piece bathing suit, hopefully someone got some pictures as they were going across the rock garden as we were "screeslading" down the face of the bowl

A trail building crew was working on the uneven sections of the trail above the registry and even with or perpendicular to the top of the falls, thank you for doing that.

Ran into Richard K and his lady friend/wife not sure, great to see you again.

Ran into Hiking Girl/Joyce glad you were able to join us for the Dodger Game/San Fran batting practice :shock: :evil:

Missed Ellen and Miguel who were on the mountain yesterday as well :(
James

Post by James »

Thanks for the TR and photos. Fun hike, lots of folks up there. Nice to see you again Richard K and Fran. I'll second the trail crew thanks.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Sorry I missed you Dude! I Left Manker at 0625, summited around 0918, and was back at the car ~ 1120. My eyes are still burning from seeing the Pomona Speedo kids.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Nice seeing you guys on the trail. Many of those Speedo/bikini hikers didn't look like they had ever gotten much sun. If they did not use a lot of sunscreen, they are looking like lobsters today. Sorry no pictures. It's tough to get photos of bathing beauties when the wife is standing by. :lol:
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Damn Silverdaddy. That's a good day in the mountains. Well done.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

One heck of a trip all over the place. Nice. I've always wondered about going straight up or down the bowl when it's not winter. Sounds like you had no issues coming down.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

tekewin wrote: One heck of a trip all over the place. Nice. I've always wondered about going straight up or down the bowl when it's not winter. Sounds like you had no issues coming down.
There's a faint scree trail that goes up or down the bowl slightly right of the ski hut almost dead even with the summit itself, there's another one in that water drainage that leads up under the west side of Harwood, you get better traction on the one in the water drainage going up and you get better "screesladding" coming down the one that is a direct line between the summit and the ski hut.

"Screesladding" is not quite running but sliding on purpose down the loose rocks as fast as you can handle it (similar to what you do on your butt on snow but this you do on your heals with light fast movements of your feet), jumping here and there and just going with the flow. The fastest time that I've clocked so far is 23 minutes from the summit to the ski hut, but that means going faster than most people are comfortable with, so I don't recommend this to those that find sliding out of control as a bad thing. I played ball for so many years that this kind of sliding reminds me of going into second, third or home but only on a steep angle and much faster.
Elwood wrote: Sorry I missed you Dude! I Left Manker at 0625, summited around 0918, and was back at the car ~ 1120. My eyes are still burning from seeing the Pomona Speedo kids
Sorry we missed you as well, been a while, will have to get Mark and some of the others to do an outing and get Phil to make his famous "cinnamon rolls" again :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You can haul some serious ass down the Bowl.
bschmalz

Post by bschmalz »

We must have passed each other. I climbed those 3 peaks on the same date, coming from the North side. Here is my trip report:

http://calitrails.com/2013/09/23/north- ... unt-baldy/
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Great TR guys.

Like this dog pic...
Sorry for size.