Car Camping?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Sublatum

Post by Sublatum »

Hi everyone!

The San Gabriel's are my favorite mountains to hike around here. I want to have a camping trip with my buddies for a bachelor party. (Getting married Nov 3rd). I am trying to find campsites near by, but the internet's reviews i just never know if i should trust or not. Does anyone here have any recommendations for where to camp? My friends and I are not backpackers, we enjoy hiking, but camping close to our cars is probably the safest bet for us. I appreciate any help whatsoever! Thanks!
tracker

Post by tracker »

Which end of the SGM/ANF do you prefer?
Sublatum

Post by Sublatum »

We are all from Long Beach, so we usually head up via Clarmont area along the 210.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Depends what you mean by bachelor party...only Monte Cristo has the reputation of being an anything goes dont expect much sleep type of place :lol:
Sublatum

Post by Sublatum »

Small group of friends, drinking around a fire. We arn't bros looking to wreak havoc. We are more likely to sit and talk video games than play beer pong in the woods :)
tracker

Post by tracker »

Monte Cristo might be a good choice. It isn't far off the beaten path and it tends to be open.
I'm originally from Long Beach too, (Millikan, '75) We used to do neighborhood camp trips to South Portal Campground, about 18 miles from Santa Clarita. I must have liked the area because I bought a house near there and I've been there for over 20 years now.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Crystal Lake can be a cool place to hang out and since it just re-opened this year not worn down either. Hike to the "lake" from the campground, go up to Islip via a couple of routes, back down to have some brews. If it's a weekend the cafe is open for you to get some grub too.
Is that the kind of place you're looking for?
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

From my experience, Buckhorn is probably the most laid back of all of the campgrounds, mostly because it takes the longest to get to so the really rowdy bastards never really make it up there. Definitely worth the drive up (which isn't a bad drive at all) and some nice easy hikes in the area too.
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Blue Ridge or Guffy on the north east side? It will be cold in Nov tho....

enjoy..