'rescued' hiker spent 10 days at Switzer

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Not any followup details worth reporting. Search went from the Burning Man festival to Buckhorn to Switzer.

http://www.jocosarblog.org/jocosarblog/ ... rries.html
Shameca Lewis Johnson went to the forest on her accord and stayed there the entire time on purpose, unaware of the huge search for her that was underway, police say.

Although some questions remain, Patch was able to get some details about the strange case of Shameca Lewis Johnson, who disappeared from Placentia on Aug. 20 and then was discovered by the Montrose Search and Rescue Team in the Angeles National Forest near Switzer Falls outside of La Cañada Flintridge on Aug. 30.

Johnson went to the forest by cab on her accord and stayed there the entire time on purpose, according to Placentia Police Detective Corinne Loomis, who added that Johnson was familiar with the area from previous hiking trips and was not lost.

"I think she went there to clear her head and to think things through. Beyond that I don’t know," Loomis said. When asked for further about information regarding Johnson's mental state, Loomis would not comment.

Johnson was unware that there was a massive search underway for her or that her case had been profiled by many media outlets in Southern California, Loomis said.

Temperatures were in the 90s regularly during Johnson's time in the forest, and Loomis expressed amazement that she was able to survive without proper supplies. She reportedly drank creek water and ate native berries in order to survive, and was in surprisingly good health after she was rescued.

"She was exposed to the elements, and had medical issues stemming from not having enough to eat and improper water," Loomis said. "But for the length of time that she was out there and the conditions that were out there, she was in remarkably good health.

"She was drinking water from a nearby creek that was probably somewhat contaminated. The fact that she didn’t get dysentery or really, really sick from drinking from the creek—it was not designed and probably not fit for human consumption. The fact that she did not fall ill is remarkable."

Loomis also said that the media played a large part in helping authorities find Johnson. A cab driver called police late Thursday or early Friday saying he saw media reports about Johnson and recalled giving her a ride up to the Angeles National Forest on Aug. 20. A group of hikers also encountered Johnson on Aug. 29 and reported that she appeared to be confused and wandering in the forest near Switzer Falls. They contacted the police later and recognized her from media reports.

"If we did not have that [media] outlet she very well could have died out there," Loomis said.
Breabonnie

Post by Breabonnie »

Interesting story...

10 days missing. I wonder who reported her lost? A relative, a boyfriend, a caregiver? No one goes to the forest to "clear your head" without taking proper camping gear, food, water, and clothing etc. Sounds like a desperate situation (fleeing abuse?) or more likely poor judgement due to mental illness?

Thankfully the cab driver and hikers reported seeing her. No cel phone coverage for most phones up there...so no calling a cab to go home...if she even had one with her.

I've been to Switzer's here and there as I enjoy hiking the trails. I usually find new folks showing up to hike the area just before sundown. It seems to never fail, they heard about the falls and want to see it but have no idea how long it takes to get "there and back" and it really gets dark fast for those who come ill prepared with no flashlights and don't know the route. I've warned countless hiking "newbees" to turn around and thankfully most of them listen to me.

So as an experienced hiker and for those like me who like late afternoon hiking at times, I highly recommend asking those you see who are just starting out late or seem to be lingering late evening important questions. Such as...if they have the right gear ie: flash light, food, water, jacket and proper shoes and have been there before. If they don't I strongly caution them to turn around and come back another day. Reminding them its not worth the risk of getting injured or stuck there overnight. Not one person has taken offense to my friendly "Hello", words of caution or questions when I explain why I ask them.

Tough part is, you really can't reason with someone with a mental illness...they usually don't think like normal people do. They are often either overly friendly due to loneliness or else very fearful -assuming everyone is out to get them. You typically won't get the "straight truth" out of them as they don't really keep track of time and may make up stories that aren't based in reality. If they seem out of sorts, its very likely they truly are - especially if they don't have access to their medication for several days at a time. Mental illness can come across as someone who appears "high" or "stoned" as they behave somewhat similarly.

So this gal was VERY lucky indeed. I don't know her so I have no idea as to her mental state or situation, but I would go so far as to assume God had mercy on her. The water levels have been much lower so I expect without fresh rain water that water would be gross.
Sitting Bull

Post by Sitting Bull »

Good points BreaBonnie. I have a feeling there is something more to this story that we will never know, mental illness, substance abuse or both.
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Twice now I have encountered "greenhorns" on the trail. Lost confused and the wild eyed I got no water look in the eyes. Kid on last trip down Vincent Gap was almost delerious, he had gone up wrong canyon, became disorrientated and was REAL happy to see me. Settled him down, gave him some water and pointed out the way.

The lack of Commom sense by the young generation is quite amazing....no video game's on surviving in the wilderness. :)

Mother Nature is a bitch......but I love her.