Caltech&Eaton Labor Day

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Started off being lucky enough to stay in the shade for awhile. The bugs started in earnest at the usual place, the last tributary of Esme on the Idlehour trail. Idlehour falls was still flowing rather well and about the only respite from the flies.

I then took a deep breath and headed out into the sun, but it wasnt so hot. I was went up to a summit that eluded me once before, but hopefully would pan out this time. Finally I got to the easiest route up on the southern backside. I had found some white quartz rocks just before getting there and put em on the summit as a memorial for fallen canyoneers. Safe to say I really dont like exposed narrow ridges...high blood pressure, argh.

Back down to Idlehour and then up Caltech canyon. It was dry, except for the crowded pothole life. Then back to Eaton creek and downward.
To the dismay of a group coming up, I sawed a log in half used to climb 'the pool'. A lot of heavy work used to put up fresh graffiti...ridiculous. A bit of a saga on the last rappel because amongst other things, my rope got stuck in a crack at the top. It was completely my fault because there was a couple groups in front of me and I saw just how sketchy the pull was. Luckily there was a someone left to thow my ropes down.

Approach hike

Going uphill from Idlehour

Little caves pocket the landscape

Not as tough as the northern approach to the summit, but Im glad I didnt go for the southern approach either.

From the summit, Caltech canyon and Mount Markham,etc

MtHarvard and just below the summit.

Manzanita berries...I always think I would take the plunge and try to make Manzanita tea just to see how it taste.

Caltech pothole life

Plenty beneath the surface too

Eaton

I think this frog wanted me to get lost.

Eaton snake
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

That snake picture is crazy :)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice - glad you made it up there again and were able to top out. Looks a bit airy. :shock:
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Canyoneers are different. Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Is that a garter snake? Looks like a big meal for that snake.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

tekewin wrote: Canyoneers are different.
:lol:
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: Nice - glad you made it up there again and were able to top out. Looks a bit airy. :shock:
I probably looked like amateur scaredy hour up there LOL. When I got off the summit, is was like it that wasnt bad at all, but I was sure glad to be off.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

"Eaton" snake AW? He, he. Good word play. :lol: Amazing pic.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

tekewin wrote: Canyoneers are different. Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Is that a garter snake? Looks like a big meal for that snake.
Fantastic!!! A very healthy Two-striped garter snake doing what it does best! Although, the snake is eating the fish in the wrong direction... Maybe the snake just caught it and is waiting for the fish to die.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Nice photos and report. Would love to get up in there, alas a no equipment/experience ..... or money to get me out if I am lifted out :D

Great post!