Lower Lucas Creek

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Did this part of Lucas canyon with some others yesterday. There are only 3 rappels (35, 25, 25), but lots of water out there. Did a lot of wading knee deep in Lucas Creek and a couple of places where we had to wade chest deep. The 2d rappel was into 6-7 feet of water and required swimming to get out. I was the first one down on this one and didn't realize the water would be over my head. What it cost me was getting my camera wet. That was one expensive rappel. But the weather was gorgeous and the canyon pretty much brush and bug free.

In case you ever want to do a 1/2 day canyoneering outing this is the one. Basically a 4-hour outing. We dropped into the creek from Angeles Forest Hwy about 1 mile past the intersection with Big Tujunga Road.
MikeSash

Post by MikeSash »

Sounds like a good time, I'll have to get down there one of these days.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Augie, get yerself an Olympus 1030 SW camera, or one of their similar models. I use mine underwater all the time, without any problems at all.

MSRP is $400, see them around town for +/-$350-375.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_secti ... oduct=1363
Augie

Post by Augie »

TDR,

Thanks for the camera suggestion. I was given a new camera (Canon Powershot IS890) for Father's Day. It's not waterproof, but this time I got a special plastic watertight container for it. At least, I was able to salvage my memory card from the drowned camera.