Falling Rock Canyon: Bloody High-five!

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

After scoring win after win in numerous climbing canyons this summer, I finally decided to will myself up Falling Rock. I had heard good things about it, so the anticipation level was above par.

I rolled into the Icehouse Canyon parking lot later than usual at 7AM. Oddly enough, the place was only half full.

I proceeded up the Icehouse trail but soon abandoned it maybe a hundred yards beyond the first switchback. Icehouse Creek was crossed, and Falling Rock Canyon was entered without much fanfare.

However, to my great joy, it did not take long for the canyon to present me with a series of enticing class 3 walls, all of which can be bypassed on the left.

Falling Rock offered no water, and its narrow walls were choked full of massive boulders accompanied by several fallen trees. It was easy to imagine a few of the living trees becoming dead obstacles in the near future. One seemed ready to leap out of the ground.

Another was preparing to hurl itself off the cliffside into the canyon below.

After a stretch of relatively easy rock-hopping in a section where the canyon is slightly wider, I arrived at the scree slope turn-off for Sugarloaf Peak.

It looked extremely boring, so I continued a short ways up-canyon to a dry waterfall, which I could see from the Sugarloaf turn-off.

Being more my style, I headed straight up the waterfall.

Once above the waterfall, I turned right and departed Falling Rock Canyon, scrambling up to the Sugarloaf Peak Trail.

The trail took me along the ridgeline to Sugarloaf Peak in a matter of minutes. I found the long-range vistas to be very refreshing after having my nose against rock walls much of the morning.

I spent some time gazing at the summit register, noting how many times Mars Bonfire signed it. Then I ran down the scree slope, plunging back into Falling Rock Canyon. I tried to make a graceful exit through the boulders and debris but somehow failed, gruesomely slicing my left palm while bracing the slightest of slip-ups.

Bloody high-five!

A couple hours later the doctor sewed me up with six stitches.
Brad Perry

Post by Brad Perry »

Ouch - just 6! Get well!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Wow. Is that a flapper?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Yeah, I cut deep into the fat cell layer, and there was a little flapping action. But no tendon damage and hardly any pain.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Right on man. 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Getting bloodied in the San Gabs is Taco's territory. We don't take kindly to trespassing 'round here, Mister. ;)

HJ

(hope it heals well. I gotta get up FRC one of these days myself)
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Two additions:

1. I uploaded a short video of my return descent down the scree slope from Sugarloaf into Falling Rock. From where the video begins, the elevation drop is about 350 feet (0.1 miles) in 90 seconds. That's a grade of 64%. The skiing was easy. I could have gone faster but slowed down for the camera. Youtube's stabilization program might make the video look a little goofy, but the original was quite shaky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uYpKe_qAL0

2. Here is an updated picture of my hand with the stitches.

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Ouch.

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Cool video, looks like you're flying until the shots with the feet pumping and skidding.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Awesome report. Bummer about the hand.

I have a "me too" trip planned in early September with a small group, but won't post a report unless something unusual happens.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Awesome report. Bummer about the hand.

I have a "me too" trip planned in early September with a small group, but won't post a report unless something unusual happens.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice scramble and photos, although I thought I was gonna be Anthony Weinered at the end there.
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Ouch... but now ya got a great story to tell the gal's at da bar!

great pics.

I wanna play...lol

be safe & c ya when i c ya

Quaeritur Stultitiae
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Ouch... but now ya got a great story to tell the gal's at da bar!

great pics.

I wanna play...lol

be safe & c ya when i c ya

Quaeritur Stultitiae
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

wrote: I thought I was gonna be Anthony Weinered at the end there.
Sorry to disappoint. I'm not that sort of guy.