Baldy Bowl and Register Ridge Loop

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thursday afternoon I scored a new PR to the Ski Hut. Then I wandered up the creekbed to refill nearer the spring and happened upon a trio of sheep. I kept wandering up, up, up the bowl, along the right side. A network of rocks provided some fun scrambling opportunities. Then it was a short scree slog and bush dodge up to the Backbone, followed by a quick, knee-killing descent on Register Ridge.

My crappy picture of the sheep

Wandering up the right side of the bowl

Looking for rocks to climb

Exiting the bowl, looking at Baldy/Harwood Saddle

Descending Register Ridge
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Your definition of wandering seems a little different than mine - that's some steep terrain! I would probably call that a "what the hell am I doing and how did I get here" moment.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Didn't you see the one way (up) sign on Register Ridge? That is some unfriendly downhill. The sheep are all over the place this year. Good omen.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote: I would probably call that a "what the hell am I doing and how did I get here" moment.
I did have a few "why am I wearing hiking sandals without socks" moments, while stopping frequently to prevent little rocks from carving a hole in my feet. It's up for debate whether the merits of sockless sandals outweigh the negatives, particularly on terrain such as that found on this trip.