Garnet Lake from Agnew Meadows Overnighter

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Wife and I headed up to Mammoth for an overnight trip Tuesday to Wednesday. We took the River Trail from Agnew Meadows out to Shadow Lake, then jumped on the JMT to Garnet for the night. From there were took a class 2 chute/connector back down to the River trail and out.

This may have been my favorite overnighter yet. Beautiful scenery, not too many mosquitoes. A big windstorm blew up when we were there, hitting us with hurricane force winds for probably 45 minutes to an hour. Weirdly enough, we had very little lightning and thunder, but 3 miles away at 1000 Island Lake, people told us they had insane lightning but very little wind.

Weird weather, these Sierras give us. Very weird weather.

I threw up a picture log of the trip if you're interested.

http://summitascents.com/2013/07/25/7-2 ... ernighter/
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Awesome report and great photos! I love that area... every lake seems to have its own personality. :)
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Mcpherson, you nailed it. Every lake is soooo different. Great call.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the neat pics and report. It was cool hearing you talk about the weather. How do you function on 1000 calories for two days?! I require at least that much to sit around the house and watch movies for a day.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Its weird, Sean. My body just doesn't want to eat during activity. I have to practically force myself to eat. It's really annoying.