Have you ever seen a rattlesnake in Icehouse Canyon?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
tarol

Post by tarol »

Just curious
Breabonnie

Post by Breabonnie »

I haven't seen one...but I have heard others hiking early in the AM will come across them when its more quiet. Once more folks begin hiking the popular trails the snakes seem to seek somewhere more private to go hide. Its a great hike. I hope you'll go regardless and just be on the listen if you go really early AM hours.

Whether they were actual rattle snakes or some other kind of snake...don't know since I wasn't around but was warned by hikers coming back as I was going up.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

After hiking there numerous times over the last 15 years, we have seen plenty. There is a certain amount of luck in being at the right place and time. Some years you may see only one or two. Other years it seems like there is a rattle behind every bush.

Breabonnie

Post by Breabonnie »

Nice Rattler photos Richard! Did you see the snakes in the early AM? What time have you gone? I've yet to have seen even just one myself and have hiked that trail many times. Though probably not as many as you. ;-D
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Breabonnie wrote: Nice Rattler photos Richard! Did you see the snakes in the early AM? What time have you gone? I've yet to have seen even just one myself and have hiked that trail many times. Though probably not as many as you. ;-D
The ones that we have seen appear throughout the day. We were on the trail at 6:30AM yesterday and did not see one. After two dry years in a row, the snake population is likely down.
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

It's not Icehouse but I was one of many witnesses to a medium size rattler at the ski hut on Saturday. He slithered from under the north facing window of the hut up to a tree nearby. It's much higher there so I'd say any area at that elevation and below is prime rattler habitat.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

I saw one two years ago just past the saddle on the way to Cucamonga. He was curled up on the trail but not aggressive at all. It was actually kind of weird. My guess was the temps were so cold that he was lethargic.

Either way, don't let snakes keep you from hiking. Give them a few feet of space and let them do their thing. Most rattlers are really docile and want nothing to do with us.
Breabonnie

Post by Breabonnie »

Wow Matt, that is pretty high up for a Rattler. Too funny. I agree...its not like they are "out to get you" they would rather send out a "rattle" warning and have you stay clear of them and they of you. I heard one in some bushes once when hiking "Holy Jim" in South OC. Never came out of the bushes but made noise to stay, "leave me alone!" We calmly walked past a couple yards from it. No biggie.

I look forward to getting up to Cucamonga at some point. Gone past the saddle the opposite direction to the first "Tee" it was so pretty to go that extra mile and catch the views.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I've seen one - was standing just above Columbine Spring just lost in thought when I heard a noise below me and looked down to see one crossing the trail about a foot away from me. Yikes!
But they are smart enough to know you are not food. I read somewhere that most rattler bites are to young (15-25) males and near the hand. Go figure...
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
IcyBacon

Post by IcyBacon »

...which was generally opposite the hand holding the 7th light beer of the evening.
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

Yes. I jumped a small rattler in the middle of the trail on my descent late in the morning last year around the houses and bench. (I apologize that I do not know the proper name of the area).
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Yeah, have seen several in that area, but, particularly around the bottom of Falling Rock Cyn, I recall one that I could hear from at least 50' away, don't know if it was me approaching or if an animal had spooked it to rattle like that, still I appreciated the warning.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Friday, 7/12/13 about 1 mile from the bottom, moving across the trail.

VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I used to hike Icehouse really early in the morning a lot, and I've seen other snakes, but never specifically a rattler there.

Actually I've barely seen any snakes this year at all (knock on something!). I think Richard might be right about the population being down.

I mean I really, really, truly hate snakes. But they don't want to see you either.
Sitting Bull

Post by Sitting Bull »

Saw a gopher snake there.

Sitting Bull

Post by Sitting Bull »

tekewin wrote: Friday, 7/12/13 about 1 mile from the bottom, moving across the trail.

I'm assuming that's a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake. I'm going off the ID info on California Herps. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/p ... lleri.html
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

MattCav wrote: I saw one two years ago just past the saddle on the way to Cucamonga. He was curled up on the trail but not aggressive at all. It was actually kind of weird. My guess was the temps were so cold that he was lethargic.

Either way, don't let snakes keep you from hiking. Give them a few feet of space and let them do their thing. Most rattlers are really docile and want nothing to do with us.
How true u are.....best common sense approach. Most of my encounters a
have occurred when the morning sun starts warming the area they inhabit. And that's the best time if your gonna, cause they are lethargic....

Rattlers are there, they are just like most all the animals I've encountered. They don't want a confrontation, but like bear, cats & me, have the god given ability to counter a threat. Ain't no Urgent Care for them to go to.

They still raise the hair on my neck when I hear that rattle without seeing them.

Respect mother nature and she wil respect you.....Mother Nature is a bitch.

Shhhhhhh..... Don't let everyone know this tho.......flat landers may think it's ok to head up without the required common sense lost by the current generation!

BTW, if ya know how, they are good eating!

Tread lightly and as all of life........Primum non nocere.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Sitting Bull wrote: I'm assuming that's a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake. I'm going off the ID info on California Herps. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yessir. The Southern Pacific is the only species on the southern side of the San Gabriels.