Baby bear adorableness

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I wondered where the cubs were this year. Normally in this spot I see them much earlier in the spring. I thought this year maybe there wouldn't be any. I was happy to see this little dude, and it's the first time I've had so much vocalizing of any animal.

The mother is smelling scent lure I placed on the rocks. Vanilla extract. There is a bumper crop of manzanita berries just about ripe in this area (Mt Wilson) so I think they'll do just fine and it'll be fun to see this cub grow!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

That is fantastic footage! Thanks for posting.

You must have quite a few cameras and enough footage to make an excellent documentary. Great, great stuff.
longcut

Post by longcut »

great footage cougarmagic. that must be alot of fun to capture this stuff.

Actually, I wanted to contact you and this post reminded me...I recently was up in Glendora area and encountered what I believe was a critter cam and I thought of you. At first though, i thought it was a geocache and I handled it a bit to see what was inside it and then i noticed the lens on the front. I tried to position it exactly how i found it, it seemed to be pointing at a very cozy location in a tree. Wondered if this was maybe yours, sorry if I interfered with it.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Thanks longcut! That wasn't my camera in Glendora but I might know whose it is. There's a guy camera trapping out that way who has gotten several different mountain lions lately. Seems like a popular place for them.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Yep, it was my friend's cam. Thought you would like to know what came by after you: "Wow! It probably was mine. This guy was with his girlfriend a couple of months ago and he picked it up to look at it and tell her what it was. He did put it back into the position I had it, and seven hours later a lion passed by!"

:)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

CM, there are still plenty of mountain lions in the Glendora area. Is your friend posting his videos anywhere?

BTW, my wife and daughter were hiking above our house last Saturday and saw a ringtail on the fire road in front of them.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Not sure if I can embed this right, but on YouTube, here's his channel:

Or try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqjYVp4X ... Ovg&fmt=22
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Is Momma Bear looking a little thin? A little lactation stress going on?

Maybe junior was vocalizing because mom wasn't letting him drink or maybe she's a little low on leche?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Mike P wrote: Is Momma Bear looking a little thin? A little lactation stress going on?

Maybe junior was vocalizing because mom wasn't letting him drink or maybe she's a little low on leche?
You're the vet, you tell me! :) Fur looks better this spring on all the bears, whereas other seasons they've looked mangy. There is a male up here who is completely fat and healthy. She looks thin, but could just be very young. I'll check this camera this weekend, and we'll see how they're doing.

I would worry most about lack of water being a problem this summer, rather than lack of food. I suppose that would result in less milk too.