Wilderness Crest Trail (Cucamonga Peak)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I had been planning on heading up to Cucamonga Peak this weekend, but not sure now with all the fresh snow. Anyone been up in this area over the past weekend? How much snow?
Taco

Post by Taco »

Yup.

We went to Chapman trial and stuff. Had people saying 7 inches of snow at the saddle on the 25th. There was around 3 inches in spots on the north face of Ontario.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Found some pics of Baldy on 5/25 which might give you an idea of what's on Cucamonga: http://picasaweb.google.com/hikinedd/BaldyEdd052508

Not looking good, Joseph :(
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I know, but I'm holding out a little hope. That one guy on the SGW forum hinted at Cucamonga Wilderness losing snow quickly, gotta get more info on that.
drndr

Post by drndr »

I read somewhere you need a pass to do cucamonga via ice house canyon due to the cucamonga wilderness. Is this true and where do you get one for a 5am start time
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

You need a wilderness permit for the angeles national forest.

I dont know what time the ranger station opens up in baldy village, but you can pick one up at sports chalet near you, or just pick one up the day prior.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

The permit you need for the Angeles National Forest is an Adventure Pass, which is a parking permit. Those you can pick up at various stores, gas stations, the Baldy Ranger Station, etc.
(http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/)

You do not need a Wilderness Permit for most Mt. Baldy area hikes, but you do need one to enter the Cucamonga Wilderness. The Wilderness boundary is about halfway up the trail in Icehouse Canyon. The 3Ts, Ontario, Bighorn, and Cucamonga Peaks are all within the Wilderness. The permit can be picked up at the Mt. Baldy Ranger Station. You can call ahead and arrange to have it left out for you if you plan an early start.
drndr

Post by drndr »

Thank you. Those that live out there, is cucamonga peak doable tomorrow(sat 31st) in your best opinion without crampons. We want to do it with poles only.
Tim

Post by Tim »

It's hard to say what the conditions are. Quite a bit of snow fell but it fell on mostly barren soil, so most of it could have melted by now. But then the trail to Cucamonga is on north facing slopes so some of the snow melt could also have re-frozen into ice. Word from the ranger station is that there could still be ice up there.

Are you not bring gear because you want to go light or because your group is not experienced in snow/ice travel? If it's the latter, I would not go unless you are okay with turning around if it is unsafe. Otherwise, hike something else and wait a few more weeks to make it a sure thing. If you do have gear then I would bring it.
drndr

Post by drndr »

Tim,
Thank you. It is because we are not expereinced, and we have all agreed that we have no problem turning around if it gets icy. Its a new trail for us so it is also a chance to see something different, even if just a bit of it.
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

Will be carrying (actually, wearing) crampons and gaiters.

I went down to Mt Baldy visitor center and the guy there was quite evasive...

"yeah, there is snow, I think, and probably ice..."

Any info about the conditions up there? Thanks in advance.
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

Thinking of hauling my fat ass to the top of Cucamonga this w-e.

Do you guys have any info on snow levels from Ice house canyon onwards? Are crampons a must?
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

Here is a picture of Cucamonga taken last Sunday from Register Ridge, May 15th. Bighorn peak is in the foreground and Cucomonga behind and above Bighorn. I don't know about crampons but there sure is a lot of snow up there.
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

crampons seem mandatory, thanx for the pic.
Gozerian138

Post by Gozerian138 »

The north slope of Cucamonga is pretty icy, starting at Icehouse saddle. I attempted to bag Telegraph Peak last weekend. Did not bring crampons. From what I ran into on the north side of Timber, this was a bit of a mistake, as I was flailing around trying to get solid footing on icy snow (did not help that I had lost the trail under the snow). Cucamonga would require crampons for a few more weeks at least. Especially considering that Cucamonga got a dusting of snow this past Saturday night from what I could see from my house!!
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

Thanks for the info, guys.

I went up on Saturday night. The throngs of tourists (!!!) were all gone and I had the trail to myself.

From Chapman to Cedar glen to the Saddle, no snow or ice whatsoever.

I tried going up the trail to Cucamonga..without crampons. Bad idea. No solid footing anywhere. I called it a day (night?) and went home.

I'll try again next w-e.
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Wanting to head up soon and wondering if anyone has gone up recently and if so how the trail is.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Well Dude, we just don't know. This is a very complicated case. You know, a lotta ins, a lotta outs, a lotta what-have-yous. :D

I haven't been up there, hopefully someone can help you
simonov

Post by simonov »

This confusion will not stand, man.
Nunc est bibendum
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

nobody?
Taco

Post by Taco »

I haven't so here's my educated guess based on having been there in similar times...

Icy in parts from being packed down, no new snow, no need for snowshoes. I would bring strap crampons and an axe.

Cheers
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

from somewhere else
The safest way to Cucamonga Peak is to go over Bighorn Ridge but we didn't take the trail from Ice House Saddle to Cucamonga Saddle because it did not appear anyone else had.

There was snow coverage to Bighorn Ridge at about 8,200' but most snow could be avoided from there to Cucamonga Saddle...there was not much. We climbed for Cucamonga Saddle to the 2nd switchback, where we removed our crampons and climbed the ridge to about 8,400' where crampons went back on.

For our return trip we went down the drainage to about 8,000' the cut across the slope to the trail, then climbed down to the saddle. We felt this was safer than than returning via the ridge. We should have descend to about 7,700' and climbed up to Cucamonga Saddle.

We then went up to Bighorn Peak and returned to the Ice House Trail via Compromise Canyon
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

thanks Ze and Taco. I have gone up before but not this time of year. I do have all my gear for ice and snow and look forward to the climb.
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Planning on taking a round up Cucamonga Peak at the end of April but not via Icehouse Canyon. I know of the route up from San Sevaine & Big Tree Truck roads but have never been. Has anyone? and if so how was it? I know the road taking you from Lytle Creek to Big Tree is closed from weather damage but am not sure how far it is from the gate to the trailhead. Anyone who can give me insight on this route and current conditons I would greatly appreciate it.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=3183

I'm interested in the idea too.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

I took this route as far as Etiwanda a couple of years ago...

https://eispiraten.com/a ... highlight=

I imagine this winter's rains have carved up the road a bit.
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Thanks everyone for the links. Anyone know how to access the gate (lytle creek)? As of now looks like park and hike from it making a extremely long day hike if not a overnighter... Either way still on the list and still plan to go end of next month-beginning of May.
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

I think the gate opens up some time in spring or summer. The ranger station in lytle creek may know.

I thought you wanted to hike up it (driving is deffinitly not doable), you could probely do it in a long day.
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Ya after reading the reports on the road, driving it sounds pretty gnarly and sketchy if it did open. I am positive it won't be open by the time I am ready to step off on this hike so as of now that is the plan, to hike from the closed gate. I was just curious for further exploration.
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

Going up Cucamonga Peak this Sunday, should be getting a nice start around 7:30. Hopefully it doesnt rain on us. Anyone else have experiance up there past Icehouse Saddle? I am sure there is still snow but how much?
9 in our party so far.