Susanna Canyon East Ridge Lollipop Loop

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Susanna Canyon drains into the East Fork river at Fire Camp 19, a correctional facility housing several inmate firefighting crews. I'm assuming these crews built the trail that begins immediately outside the prison gate, crosses under the East Fork Road bridge beside Susanna Canyon creek, and then splits into two lollipop trails, one heading up the east ridge to Point 2328, and one up the west ridge to 2555.

I noticed these trails last week while walking the East Fork Road. Being naturally curious, I decided to investigate. Hardly any information about them exists online. Probably because they are located across the street from a prison, and it's illegal to park at/near the unmarked trailhead. After I failed to notice "no parking" signs at the turnout across the street, a kind officer ran after me and explained that my car would be towed unless I moved a quarter-mile down the road.

I moved my car and walked back to the trail, taking the right-hand split for the east ridge loop. The well-brushed trail crossed a tiny bridge to the other side of the dry creek and started rising up the slope through a bit of shade. Fairly quickly it reached the treeless ridgetop. Here the loop proper started with a choice to either climb steeply and roughly up the spine or somewhat more gradually along the inner slope. I chose the spine and took in the views of scorched Graveyard Canyon, Rattlesnake Peak, and, of course, Susanna Canyon, where the Williams Fire was stopped.

The only online report I found about this trail came from mountain bikers who use it for technical downhills. But, despite being the only soul out there on a Saturday morning, I observed more bootprints than tire tracks. The trail must be used regularly by inmates, as there was a folding chair at the saddle beyond Point 2328, where I imagine a guard watches to make sure that no prisoners attempt to leave the trail and escape further up the ridge.

While returning, the other half of the loop hugged the inner slope and occasionally dropped steeply, requiring some wooden stairs in one section. Letters carved into the first step read "4 BLOK '09."

It was around 11AM, and still bits of shade could be had here and there. But the heat wasn't terrible. Maybe mid-80s.

Gunfire from the Burro Canyon shooting range could be heard sporadically from across the canyon, over the west ridge.

I completed the 1.9-mile loop in less than an hour while taking several pictures. I thought about doing the west ridge loop, but decided to save it for another day, perhaps a Tuesday, when the shooting range is closed.

Susanna Canyon Trailhead

View of upper and lower segments of East Ridge loop, with West Ridge loop seen across canyon

View from Point 2328

Folding Chair

Looking back at 2328

West Ridge loop to Point 2555 seen across canyon

Wooden steps installed by 4 BLOK

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Cool Sean. Looks like it could be hot. Nice trail work by the inmates.