Lone Pine Peak

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Having a few days off this week I headed up to the Sierras. First on my list was Lone Pine Peak, it's prominent peak is often mistaken by unfamiliar travelers as Mount Whitney, and, at 12944' high definitely worth bagging.

Setting off at dusk (06/05/2013) I headed up the Meysan Lakes Trail for about 4.5 miles to the sign indicating the trail split between Meysan Lake and Grass Lake, passing around Grass Lake on it's west side and over a boulder field you are confronted by a steep scree slope now void of snow. I had heard that the left side of the slope was the way to go, Doug, at the Portal Store, advised me to use the right side. However, I choose to go straight up the middle furrow - more fool me, because almost every step sent a cascade of scree flying downhill, - In retrospect I think Doug's idea was the best. Having overcome the scree slope, which must be about 1500/1700' of loose rock and dust the rest is straightforward. Topping out approx half a mile NE, just below and to the right of the summit ridge avoiding several false summits.

The views on top are amazing, it is one of those peaks you just do not want to leave, after photographing everything in sight, I signed the register and headed back to the scree slope. Going down was much easier and I scree skied most of the way down.

My GPS showed this as 12.71 miles and approx 5000' elevation gain, although I did not recalibrate it so my calculations may not be entirely accurate. Either way the Meysan Lakes trail is beautiful with terrific views all round.

Cheers

Phil

Pics : http://philbrown.smugmug.com/Other/Lone ... &k=zwKLhZL

][url][img]