King snake and birds

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We saw a pretty king snake in Icehouse Canyon yesterday along with a couple of doves and a robin.

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice pair of Band-tailed Pigeons.

I hate snakes.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Awesome King Snake Richard.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

HikeUp! That is a beautiful creature! It should be exempt from your hate of snakes.

Cool pic! I saw a king snake once near Gould Mesa (Arroyo Seco), and only one other in Arizona many years ago.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

cougarmagic wrote: HikeUp! That is a beautiful creature! It should be exempt from your hate of snakes.
Yaaaaa Hike Up, what's wrong with you :P :wink: :P Even I, the 'King' ha ha, of all Snake Haters loves this beautiful belly slider!! Just messin' wiff you HU...

That snake is as beautiful as the picture itself, great shot RichardK - every thing about that picture is perfect...[the shapes, the textures, the colors]

I think my big problem with snakes --- has to be the rattlesnake --- oh and it might be that chance of, let's say dyyyyying if all things go wrong.

Rattlesnakes just look so wickedly mean [to me] as opposed to that cheery looking King snake.

Even when circumstances and time allowed me more hiking adventures in the San Gabriels, my fear of rattlesnakes put a serious ding in that fun. It was just something I could not force out of my mind.

Hike Up, do you feel like taking over the sofa now and chime in with your side...

:P :D :?:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hehe. I don't hate them as much as I hate spiders. Or kids.

It's just that I grew up where all of this country's poisonous snakes live - Copperheads, Cottonmouths (Water Moccasins), Corals, Rattlesnakes. Walking through the Big Thicket once I paused to take a look around. Hmm...there's a copperhead about 10 feet away....hmmm....there's another one...hmmm...another one!...HMMM, holy shit I am standing 2 inches from one!!! I had wandered into a den of coppers...thankfully it was cold and they didn't give a shit.

Not to mention that anaconda sized rattlesnake I nearly stepped on while exploring the levee in New Orleans. Like a bad SciFi channel movie.

Just saying.

Just rattlers around here...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I saw a tiny baby one-of-them snakes the other day. Been seeing a lotta them in the SG's as well lately, after never seeing one before.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I appreciate that rattlesnakes will often warn you that you are too close. But I've had them slither right next to my foot when I was standing still watching something afar, and that freaked me out a bit.

Saw these lovelies up in Kings Canyon last weekend.

outwhere

Post by outwhere »

HikeUp wrote: Or kids.

It's just that I grew up where all of this country's poisonous snakes live - Copperheads, Cottonmouths (Water Moccasins), Corals, Rattlesnakes. Walking through the Big Thicket once I paused to take a look around. Hmm...there's a copperhead about 10 feet away....hmmm....there's another one...hmmm...another one!...HMMM, holy shit I am standing 2 inches from one!!! I had wandered into a den of coppers...
Thanks for sharing that Hike Up..... I think :? ... hey I asked for it :P :evil:

:shock: :shock: Papa Jesus!! I'll shut up now --- cause dealing with at least 3 other types of venomous snakes as well as rattlesnakes, I wouldn't make it through a day :P

Then again, in the 'big' city life, nuff snakes and parasites amongst us too...

That's weird, Sean.... I woulda guessed the snake would sense you.... and stay away ???

And what's the deal with rattlers every so often that should sense plenty of hikers a comin',, yet it sets right there on, or along a trail ? We even walked into one near Mt Lowe that was so lethargic, we thought it mighta been dead.

I just did a quick google search,,, a few interesting notes, snakes actually do have ears... ok...

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012 ... vibrations

This is not part of the article :wink: but some snake levity...