General Update - June 2013

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hey guys,

I'm not on here a lot, since my computer took a crap and I'm in between jobs. I don't have much access to this site as a result, so I apologize for any spam that sits around for a bit. I could change the banner pic (top of page) if you guys want, but you'd hafta post a suggested photo already the right size (about the same as the one up there, give or take).

For you runners, I'm interested in planning a trail run around the Crystal Lake area, literally. Start at Adam's Cafe, go north up the trail to the road, follow the road up to South Mt Hawkins, follow the ridge north to Hawkins, drop into Windy Gap, go up to Islip, down the really fun to run trail down to the lake, then connect on tarmac (sorry) roads to the Cafe. No aid stations, fees, etc. Self-sustained. Obviously anyone would be welcome to stash water or do whatever they want. Start time would be early enough to get back to Adam's for some chili or anything else he cooks before he closes. If this interests you, let me know in a reply.

I hope everyone is doing well and getting out as much as possible. You gotta get out when you live in SoCal or you'll get all eaten alive and stuff. No bueno.

Please feel free to ask any questions here and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I will be around a computer for about a week before I head back to SoCal.

Cheers guys.
fortified

Post by fortified »

I have never run with anyone except sony Walkman. I still have my yellow ones from 1992, as well as the newer ones. I probably can't go on this run howecer. I have a very late schedule, and usually run just before sunset.
For all the running/hiking I do I am really a true amature. I have a question you might be able to help with. I recently started doing endurance runs, instead of my usual three miles up to Henninger flats, or Echo Mt.
I am having real trouble getting comfortable carrying supplies, as in water, emergency carbs, Iphone, extra batteries, I don't have any gear of any sort, and have used pockets, and an old fashioned two handle cloth bag.
I am spending a whole lot of time getting comfortable as I go between hiking fast, and jogging.
When I do my shorter runs, as in ( the 6 mile round trip above) It's only my music, and Iphone. So the longer ones are new to me.
How do you carry water, and such for running?
Also, if I may ask, what kind of work have you been doing?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Random tasks, here and there. Just finished doing housekeeping in Yosemite, which was the worst job I've ever had.

A small pack works. Carry as little as possible. One of the body-hugging hydropacks with enough space for my keys, tiny headlamp, a sandwich and some snacks and that's it. 10 liters or so, like the Deuter Speed 10 my girlfriend wears on her long trail runs (such as Tuolumne to Mammoth Lakes).

If you like, you can create a new thread asking this in the trail running section, and folks will likely jump in on it.
James

Post by James »

About how far is this trail running route you've described? I'm interested and will check back and see if this happens. If not it sounds worth checking out at least, maybe running all or part of it.
longcut

Post by longcut »

i didnt check but assuming this is 10-20 miles and more than a few weeks away then I would be interested.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah assuming 20 miles or so. I can create a thread for it later with details when I'm back in LA.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Taco wrote: I could change the banner pic (top of page) if you guys want, but you'd hafta post a suggested photo already the right size (about the same as the one up there, give or take).
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Done deal, boss!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Spiffy, eh?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

fortified wrote: How do you carry water, and such for running?
I use the Orange Mud HydraQuiver. I prefer it because of the design that allows you to carry a water bottle on your back instead of in your hand or on your hip. It also has pockets for carrying food and emergency supplies.