Magic at Angeles Crest

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
DV1

Post by DV1 »

Hi to All :)

I was doing some online research recently on areas in the San Gabriel Mountains when I came across Cougarmagic's posting from January 2012 re the mystery at Winston Ridge. I do not have an answer to her particular query but I thought she and others in this forum might be interested in something else that was near that ridge.

Around 1970-71, I along with three friends decided to drive up the Angeles Crest Highway to have a little picnic wherever it seemed would be nice along the way. It was probably the view toward the Antelope Valley that made us stop and do some minor hiking in to sit down and have cheese, bread and sparkling wine. Of course, it was wonderful to be there enjoying a sunny afternoon with pleasant mountain breezes - and the wine certainly complemented it. :-)

After awhile of enjoying a scene that if Edouard Manet had been there he might have painted and titled, "Déjeuner sur les Montagnes de Gabriel", one of the group returned from a brief stroll and she said to the rest of us: "I wonder if those people would let me use their bathroom?".

I could recount further the conversation but I will jump ahead a few moments to where all of us were hiking up the hill and soon enough what came into view was quite a surprise. We proceeded to go around the south side just a little below an out-cropping of rocks and then as we rounded it we saw this to the northwest which is depicted in a quick sketch I made of it sometime later.

Yes, it was a small, alpine-style cabin. We all just stood there looking at it and if I say that I probably said "Wow", well, that would not be far from the feeling at that moment. I then called out a, "Hello!", to alert whomever might be in the cabin rather than startle them by knocking on the front door. After repeated calls it was apparent that no one was there.

We all walked toward it but I was the one who went right to the door. There was a yellow, metal sign from the Forest Service saying something or other about the place but I didn't even finish reading it and just gently pushed on the door. Before me was a room with two sofa beds and an oil-burning stove in the northwest corner. A ladder went up to the loft. A window at the west wall that framed trees and sky better than any painting. Then I turned to my right and in the corner was an old well-used broom. Without giving it a second thought I grabbed it and immediately began sweeping the floor of the cabin. The others followed in and were likewise amazed and we all did some sprucing of the place.

From that moment on and for nearly 5 years I visited the cabin many times and in all the seasons. I went with friends, relatives, and significant others from those years. Many good times and in all truth I can't think of a visit when I was there and felt anything other than in good spirits. Some were day trips, other times we stayed overnight. The stove could also burn small pieces of wood, cooked many a can of soup and whatever else, and was easily cleaned after use. Powerful little stove too in that even if there was snow outside the temperature inside got to the point where you had to open the door to cool down slightly. And of course, the outhouse nearby worked as efficiently as any outhouse could. And not once in all those years did we meet up with someone from the Forest Service to tell us otherwise about being there and only once while there did another hiker show up. In essence, the cabin was always there, as if it were a second home. In some ways it was.

There is a word: "Halcyon". One of its definitions is 'idyllically calm and peaceful'. The cabin and the surroundings were certainly that through the many sunrises, afternoons, twilights and nights enjoyed there. And for those who may be so inclined, I would add the definitions of transcendent and otherworldly; let's just say I and others visited the cabin's counterpart in other dimensions. Magic, plain and simple. :)

Then one day years later a friend and I climbed the hill and looking up it seemed the cabin had disappeared. Arriving at the spot we could see it had been dismantled. Wood was laying all about and we recognized this or that item from the interior. I simply stood there for awhile and reflected on the cabin and what had once been. There was a little sadness but at the same time there was a gratefulness for having experienced this place, this 'portal', that seemed like a gift from the forest spirits freely given for a special 'season' in my life. Yes, it may sound a bit romantic and rhapsodical to some and I too can cite all the 'mundane' reasons for the whys and wherefores of it. But somehow that would seem disrespectful, the 'facts' are simply not enough to to describe all that it was. I'm sure many of you have had experiences where the facts were inadequate to the feelings of wherever the magic gifted you, whether for a day or longer.

The other day I spoke with a long time friend of over 45 years who lives in Los Angeles. He was also one of the original group and the one that was with me when we discovered the cabin had 'moved on'. He knows others who may have some photos of the place and if any turn up then I will post them here. The woman who first discovered the cabin and asked about the 'bathroom' is now living in Oregon and breeding horses. My friend is going to ask her if she has any photos since I remember her with a camera on some of the visits. There are others who may have taken photos, but like the cabin they have also moved on to other places known and unknown.

Yet, no photos will ever be what the actual place was for me and others. The best images, the ones that live, are in my mind and heart. They may slip in and out of remembrance, but they never fade. For those of you around my age, well, I don't have to preach to the choir. For those of you in your teens, 20s and more, then wherever you find that magic whether it be a cabin or just a simple rock with a view afar, enjoy it whether alone or with good company. Little moments like that can last a long time.

It's been many years, too long, since I've been to that area. Since then many other places, people and times have come and gone. Priorities arose and abided by and responsibilities have had to be managed. But someday soon, maybe next year or the one after that, I will drive alone to that parking area. I will walk down the forest road a little then make the turn up the hill. And I know that with every step upward it will become a bit more emotional. Then I will probably sit, as I often did, by the boulders that were just a few yards from the north side of the cabin's balcony and gaze deep and afar. I will stay there a good, long time all the way to when some of the twilight stars can be seen. I may even stay overnight if I can figure where to park the car. To experience another night and sunrise there would be as we used to say back then, "primo".

The topos don't show a name for that particular area but for me it will always be the ‘Cabin at Angeles Crest’. I am thankful for its delights, wisdom understood, and its cherished memories.

Thank you and best wishes to you and yours.

Daniel

Updated: The GPS coordinates of the cabin area are 34 21 10.398N by 117 55 27.648W. Following is an image showing place where one turns from forest road (dashes) up to cabin. Distance from parking area to turn I think is around .3 of a mile. Of course, if one feels energetic they can always climb in a straight line from the parking area (just east of Mt. Waterman). :D

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

That's a short distance east of Winston Peak "trailhead". Interesting story. Thanks!
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Wow - absolutely fantastic post! Love it on so many levels...

Speaking of many levels,,, the memories you recount so vividly,,, sure makes me think of how things used to be... compared to now.

Sure hope one of your friends, or someone, can find and post a picture of that cabin...

Finding that cabin ONCE in that kind of condition [open and free] is mind-boggling enough but finding it STILL there over all those years musta felt like a dream come true...

The last thing that struck me about your post - I can really feel the sense of appreciation that you had for that spot, not only as a place to stay warm and sleep but as an emotional location that you'll never forget.

Great stuff, hope there is more to come...
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

DV1 wrote: Hi to All :)

.... wherever you find that magic whether it be a cabin or just a simple rock with a view afar, enjoy it whether alone or with good company. Little moments like that can last a long time.
Now that is a great thought.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

JeffH wrote:
DV1 wrote: Hi to All :)

.... wherever you find that magic whether it be a cabin or just a simple rock with a view afar, enjoy it whether alone or with good company. Little moments like that can last a long time.
Now that is a great thought.
+1
DV1

Post by DV1 »

As I've continued my researching into different aspects of the San Gabriel Mts I have to correct a location aspect re the cabin and Winston Peak.

When I went looking at photographs that others had taken I saw the ones for Winston Peak and one of them seemed identical to the rockpile near the cabin.

To me it was the rock 'sofa'. You could sit on it but the angularity did not make for a 'cushiony' effect. Nonetheless, it was as fine a seat for viewing as any other if you just positioned yourself right.

But it seems that either the above photograph is of the rockpile near the cabin or a rockpile on Winston Peak. Whichever it may be, I made corrections in the opening post to show the accurate location of the cabin area along with newer satellite images.

On the topos and looking at other material re names for places in the SGMts I cannot find anything referring to a particular name for the area; the nearest seems to be 'Cloudburst Summit'. Maybe it has a localized name used by rangers for identification. If someone here knows or eventually finds out if the area even has a distinctive name then please let me know.

Now, to some replies:

to Outwhere,

Thank you. If I managed to relay even a small measure of the feeling for the place then that's good.
"sure makes me think of how things used to be"
Well, I know that sentiment. The way I figure it, it's like being a child and enjoying a magician's tricks. Then as you get older you want to find out how the 'trick' is done. Nothing wrong with that except that sometimes we go overboard and begin to think that everything is a trick, a deception. Drink enough of that brew and it's no surprise that all you want at that point is some cool, clear, water. So, maybe what one has to do is hike around a little more consciously and who knows, they might find a pretty little spring to quench the thirst. Many a times a few cool sips have put me back on the sky saddle. :-)

Yes, I'm hoping some photos turn up.

And it was an unexpected dream come true and one that won't be forgotten.

to JeffH & Uncle Rico,

And validated by the years. :-)
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

DV, thank you so much for sharing this memory. I don't have your eloquence, but I understand the feeling of having your own perfect spot. It must have been wonderful knowing that cabin was out there, that you could escape to it when you wanted to. And the mystery of who built it, and why it was abandoned adds to the charm.

I'll visit this spot one of these days, and imagine what it was like. I still want to explore Squaw Canyon, which descends from the north side of Winston Peak. It seems like there must have been a cabin down there somewhere, since there is flat shaded land down there, and the top of the drainage has debris of cables, and some wood down near the stream.

Thanks, really. I love this stuff.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Great stuff- Enjoyed this post. I can think of a handful of similar magical spots / memories.

Happy Trails!
DV1

Post by DV1 »

Thank you, Cougarmagic.

If you understand the feeling then that's eloquence enough. :)

It was wonderful knowing that the cabin was there but of course not to take for granted. Even that first time I knew to enjoy the moment, the now of it, because there was always the possibility of some ranger coming by and telling whomever was there to leave. It was long after the fact that I regarded my undisturbed "residency" as, like the poster Outhere said, "mind boggling". And I would add, mind-blowing. :)

As to who might have built it, I'd say chances are good that Lynn Newcomb, son of Louie Newcomb, might have had something to do with it. They built the Mt Waterman structures and considering how close it is to where that cabin was at then that's a possibility. I too saw cables down a ways from the cabin and a piece of hardware that looked like a wheel the cable could go aroud like a pulley. It may have been for one of those old ski pulleys where you held on to the cable and skied back up. But if so, then that would have been a very small ski run or for training purposes. Whichever the case I'm not sure.

A cabin somewhere in Squaw Canyon? Well, if you do find it ...psst! PM me. :D

to Shreddy,

Roy & Dale wish you the same. :D
zarka

Post by zarka »

Jane and I visited this site today and found the ruins of the cabin. It was a little farther north and east of what you said:
Outhouse, I presume, was at 34 21 9.86 by 117 55 28.302
Main cabin 34 21 10.398 by 117 55 27.648
Some weird mechanical contraption in front of the cabin by some yards: 34 21 11.01 by 117 55 27.726
After some thought, that thing, which had only one axle on it, could have been the top of a rope pull style ski lift (where you grab the rope and it pulls you up, usually found on bunny hills).

Pictures here
outhouse? (where the dog is standing)

cabin

cabin post "Lee Smitty" in cement

possible front entrance stairs up to porch?

contraption
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Cool Zarka! Thanks for posting these pics... yes, some may say it's just a scattering of wood siding --- but to some of us softies, it's a reminder of 'what once was' when it comes to cabins/structures/'homelife' in the San Gabriel Mountains.

Sure hope DV1 pops in and sees this post - and hopefully pt 2, DV1 or friends find some photos of this cabin in it's prime time.

It would also be fun if someone can confirm the mechanical item was used for a rope tow --- how cool would that have been, a mini-ski resort to go along with the cabin... a precursor to the 'all inclusive resort' :P :D

Thanks again for keeping this going Zarka!
DV1

Post by DV1 »

Zarka

Thanks for the photos. I hope you and Jane felt some of what it would have been like with a cabin there. :)

The thing about that pile of wood is that when I first saw the cabin had been dismantled the amount of it was less than the entirety of the cabin. Best I can figure is that someone drove a vehicle up there, especially if it was the Forest Service, and removed things from the interior like some really nice log-slats and even some rounded trims; those were probably hauled out along with the old stove too. And the two sofa beds were also gone which I doubt anyone hand-lugged those down the hill. :D

Yes, I remember the mechanical contraption, I also think it was for one of those ski lifts that you grabbed on to the rope and skied up; further down the hill there are other pieces, one of them decidedly a pulley. By the way, was there a long rope dangling from one of the trees by the cabin? It was already there when we discovered the place; probably not after all these years but I thought I'd ask.

Interesting that it was more northeast than I noted. It's been years since I've been there so I guess that's to be expected. How did you figure out the actual location?

As I looked at the area on gmap-pedometer.com I see what could be the four cement posts as indicated by an arrow in the following image. :-)

I've also noted that the USGS indicated the cabin since they used the building symbol where the cabin was at:

I had completely forgotten about the "Lee Smitty" on one of the concrete posts. That may help in my trying to get more info on the cabin from the Forest Service; will be contacting them this coming week.

To 'Outwhere', thus far no response either way re photos but hoping something will turn up with them or elsewhere. For the moment, here's a quick Photoshop sketch-up of how the cabin looked in context using one of Zarka's photos. The cabin's "stairs" was a very large log that one stepped up on to the walkway.

Don't know when but any more info on the cabin received will definitely be posted here. :)

Cheers

Dan
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Very cool, very sad as well. Excellent wisdom.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Hey, until a photo of the cabin pops up, this photoshop serves as a good substitute! Glad you drew that up DV1...

Outta curiosity - so that log as the step... was it one giant 'slab' of a tree - as in running the whole length of the cabin?

Yes, hopefully more info etc etc will show up...
SGMTBs

Post by SGMTBs »

It's possible that Tom Reierson who "does" a lot of Glendora historical stuff might know details about the cabin.
DV1

Post by DV1 »

UPDATE:

Information has been coming in and along with it leads to other sources.

May take some time so will post when I've acquired what I feel will make for
as complete a picture as possible.

Dan

missy

Post by missy »

Daniel,

I know this post is over 3 years old, but time and time again I would return to it to reread your beautiful words in recollecting memories of this cabin.
I don’t know if you will even see this, but its worth a try.

I wanted to follow up on your inquiry. Were you able to obtain any photos from your friends that were visiting the cabin with you in the 70s?
DV1 wrote: UPDATE:

Information has been coming in and along with it leads to other sources.

May take some time so will post when I've acquired what I feel will make for
as complete a picture as possible.

Dan
Did the Forest Service give you any answers about whose cabin it was or any history?

I wish you could share the quick sketches you made again because they no longer show up on this post. I would have loved to imagine how the cabin looked like.
It doesn’t make sense why the forest service would dismantle the cabin that way without hauling out all the wood….

You’re right, the cabin symbol is shown on the topo (as early as 1959 in the Mt. Waterman topo), but no label….

The abandoned roads around Mt. Akawie (Buckhorn Peak) are shown on Open Cycle Maps: http://caltopo.com/m/91T1
I wonder what purpose those roads used to serve?

I also had this location in the back of my mind forever, and got around to visiting it. I did a quick scout. Then came back a few weeks later. We stayed overnight at a perfect flat spot next to the ruins. The walk from the road was flat and felt remote.

Here are a few additional pictures from that day:

Untitled by Missy, on Flickr
I wish I knew what this was for?

Untitled by Missy, on Flickr
Another look at this machinery. Its located on the other side of the summit outcropping.

IMG_2034 by Missy, on Flickr
Overview of the cabin ruins

IMG_2015 by Missy, on Flickr
Closer look

IMG_2017 by Missy, on Flickr
As others have noted, there is a LEE SMITTY engraved on the cement

IMG_2018 by Missy, on Flickr
Unknown mechanical contraption

IMG_2019 by Missy, on Flickr
Toilet?

IMG_2030 by Missy, on Flickr
Outhouse area?

IMG_2044 by Missy, on Flickr
On the way down from nearby Mt. Akawie, with the ski slopes of Mt. Waterman in the background

Overall, such a peaceful area next to some of the busiest campgrounds in the Angeles (Cooper and Buckhorn) I'm dreaming of the next snowfall in the backcountry....
dima

Post by dima »

missy wrote: The abandoned roads around Mt. Akawie (Buckhorn Peak) are shown on Open Cycle Maps: http://caltopo.com/m/91T1
Don't read too much into that. I added those from the aerial imagery, and I don't know anything.
missy

Post by missy »

dima wrote:
missy wrote: The abandoned roads around Mt. Akawie (Buckhorn Peak) are shown on Open Cycle Maps: http://caltopo.com/m/91T1
Don't read too much into that. I added those from the aerial imagery, and I don't know anything.
oh ok cool. Yeah but those roads are definitely there. From the ACH theres a crashed up yellow gate. They definitely served some mysterious purpose
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

A lot of those old roads are from logging. I've read that logging was done during WWII.

HJ
DV1

Post by DV1 »

Missy

I left the notification active on any posts. Give me a couple of days or so and I will see if I have the drawings that were up. At that time I will relate some brief info. :)

Daniel
DV1

Post by DV1 »

Missy

It's been awhile since addressing this topic and while I wish I could have done it sooner and with some substantial results the fact of the matter is that life 'away from the keys' took precedence. One particular is that even at the time of the initial posting I was taking care of my aunt who just at the beginning of September turned 91 years of age. I took care of her for 13 years but her condition now is frail and so she's moved with my sister and her daughter and granddaughter who will henceforth provide the 24/7 monitoring that my aunt needs. She says she wants to reach 100. I say, go for it auntie!

Since August 1st I've been living in my own place and of course it will take a little time for the 'reset' button to take effect in terms of my own situation. Overall, I cannot say that I thought of the taking care of my aunt was a restriction, I thought of it as a family duty. But I have to admit that it's a little strange getting accustomed to the 'freedom'.

Anyway, that's that on this side of the counter. :-)

For awhile after the last posting here I did contact various people, some replied, some didn't. No photos of the cabin but I figure if you put the request out into the universe then somewhere somehow it'll gently make it's way toward me like some dandelion seed in the wind.

Thus far:

Some have said that the cabin was a precursor to the original Waterman Mountain operation. In what manner this was so I was not informed but an indicator is that the old machinery that you saw there was basically a rope tow. This complements what I heard from others that the cabin area was a bunny hill or slope. Personally, when I think about the angle of the hill below the cabin I think it a bit too steep for bunny-business. In fact. there were times when visiting in winter we would use cardboard or some metal piece and it was a rollicking ride. Kids, don't try that without parental supervision. :-) But I can see it as being some intermediate place to ski - and a short run at that.

Another suggestion was that the cabin was a fire lookout. It's certainly situated for that and I remember one particular summer night back in the late 70s when I and others smelled a light yet unmistakable scent of burning wood. Going outside and looking toward the east we could see flames in the distance; no threat since they were too far away.

Then there was the information that the cabin was owned by the USC Skiing Club. They had purchased it from supposedly the UCLA Skiing Club. I tried a few times with USC on this count both by email and phone but no one got back to me. I spoke and corresponded by email with rangers, staff, etc. They had some suggestions but none of them knew for sure and of course they wished me well in the search. I also tried contacting one of the Newcomb daughters on her Facebook page but that was a bit of a hunt since I cross-referenced this and that and found her married name which is the one she uses on the Facebook. I tried a few times by leaving messages but it yielded no replies.

There are two possible sources yet to engage but I figure that maybe next year in the summer I will be taking a trip to LA and do part of it via the Angeles Crest Highway. The first is the Buckhorn Ski and Snowboard Club. The entrance to it is three-quarters of a mile east from the parking area used to get to the cabin. Apparently, the club has been there since the late 50's so maybe there is a chance of some record, etc., of the cabin. Of course, if you or any of the other readers of the SGMDF who hike the trails frequently happen to be in the area then maybe you could do an inquiry re the cabin, maybe show them some of the photos. Who knows, maybe it will turn up something interesting.

Another possibility is more on the academic side, so to speak. The Sierra Madre Public Library has the 'Wandalee Thompson Collection of San Gabriel Mountains History'. Instead of me telling you what it's about go to this link and you'll get all the info you need. There is no online access to this collection so when I take my trip to LA I may just go to the library; and you have to call beforehand to make an appointment to see the collection. There may be something there about the cabin but even if there wasn't I'm sure there would be plenty to discover about the mountains.

And last but not least, discovering the identity of 'Smitty' would certainly be key.

A side note, and perhaps of interest to those with a 'paranormal' disposition, is what was related to me by a good friend of many years (this year marks 50 years of knowing each other since high school). When talking about the cabin as we've done so many times before, he brought up an interesting bit. One of the people who used to go with us to the cabin was a Chinese woman who was the girlfriend of one of our friends. He said that she once told him that while on an overnight stay she was awakened by the feeling of someone as if they were pressing hands down on her. She then voiced, "Are you going to let me go?", and then the pressure went away. Her assessment was that the cabin was haunted.

Personally, in all the times I visited there neither I nor many of the others ever expressed such about the cabin. Dave told me to take her account with a grain of salt, that she was sensitive about a lot of things and that maybe being in the forest at night even in a cabin might have made her imagine things. Well, whether imagined or not maybe she did feel something. Anyway, I don't see Zak Bagans and the other guys going there anytime soon with tape recorders and equipment. :-) Though needless to say, it wouldn't be the first strange, story I've heard about the mountains there. Did you ever hear the one about the van at Buckhorn Campground that played Streisand's, 'The Way We Were', all night? Don't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of BC but if you happen to be overnighting there and you hear that tune wafting in the wind, well, I would suggest a stealthy exit just in case. :-)

So, the search continues. I've been looking for the images I drew in Photoshop of the cabin but still haven't found them. I may have to go to some back-up discs from that time since from then I got a new computer.

Thank you for your interest and I must admit it was nice to see the email notification and your pictures and words. I hadn't thought about the cabin in awhile and so it was like someone reminding me and especially at this particular time in my situation.

By the way, saw your website and it looks very nice. In a few weeks my friend Dave is visiting from LA and we're going to be doing some outdoor activities around Lake Mead and near Death Valley. We'll be taking plenty of photos. I thought maybe of posting an account of it here but I don't know if SGMDF allows non-SGM related stories.

If I don't find the pictures then I will make a new one. Till then, take care, happy hiking, and even happier inspiration. :-)

Daniel
missy

Post by missy »

Daniel,

I was delighted to see that my post reached you!

Thank you for giving me what information you have.
I think my best shot is to visit the Buckhorn Ski and Snowboard Club and the Forest Service Station. You mentioned in your original post that there was a sign from the FS posted. And since its on the topo map, something must be known. Maybe itll have to be from a retired FS Ranger....

If I find anything else I will of course post here

Thank you for taking the time to respond and checking out my website!
DV1

Post by DV1 »

I found the image I made in Photoshop.

When I get the time I will make a newer one in Sketch-Up for more of a 3D look. I will also get around to uploading some of the images that don't link in the initial postings.

Daniel
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Kinda cool.

HJ