Sierra Madre to Mount Baldy

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Not sure if it's really feasible this year, given the extremely low water levels, but I'm in the early stages of planning a superultramegatrek from my front door to the top of Baldy. A very rough estimate of 80 miles, split up over 8 days. No reason to rush, 10 avg miles a day with a full pack is enough for me.

Obviously, water is key. There are some stretches of the route I've planned out that I'm extremely familiar with, but others (like Shortcut Canyon) I've never set foot in. The spacing of the campsites is about as perfect as can be, I was surprised.

Does this look possible?

http://goo.gl/maps/SiuH5

Day 1 - Mt Wilson Trail up and over Manzanita Ridge (the bench) to Hoegees (7 miles)
Day 2 - Gabrielino Trail over Newcomb Pass to West Fork Campground (8 miles)
Day 3 - Shortcut Canyon up to Chilao (11 miles)
Day 4 - Chilao to Cooper Canyon Trail Camp including detour to Newcomb's Ranch (14 miles)
Day 5 - Cooper Canyon TC to Little Jimmy (10-14 miles depending on route: PCT Closure, ACH bypass, or long ass detour up and over Williamson)
Day 6 - Little Jimmy to Baden-Powell Summit (6 miles)
Day 7 - Baden-Powell to Pine Mountain Ridge (13 miles, majority downhill)
Day 8 - Pine Mt Ridge up to Baldy (7 miles) then down to Manker (4.5 miles)

I think my best bet is to go late winter/early spring once the Pine Mountain to Baldy bit is ice free.

My biggest question is regarding reliable water sources between the West Fork Campground and Little Jiimmy (a huge chunk of the journey)

Any advice? (other than "Don't do it") :shock:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I'd think you could stash water in plenty of places ahead of time.
palmeredhackle

Post by palmeredhackle »

This is way cool. I have had a similar plan though much less intense. I wanted to do a door to door hike from my front door to wilson and back, but have that planned as a single day trip.

I think your mileage is more than reasonable, and could probably polish this trip off sooner than that quite easily based on your conditioning.

I wish you luck, it sounds like a really great tour of the Angeles! Definitely something unique.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

HikeUp wrote: I'd think you could stash water in plenty of places ahead of time.
Yeah, my main concern is through Shortcut Canyon and the burn area. Not too comfortable even filtering the water up there considering all the poodle dog bush and fire-retardant-whatever-stuff-they-drop-on-fires that might still be in the soil up there... Will probably opt for stashing either way in those parts.

palmeredhackle wrote: This is way cool. I have had a similar plan though much less intense. I wanted to do a door to door hike from my front door to wilson and back, but have that planned as a single day trip.

I think your mileage is more than reasonable, and could probably polish this trip off sooner than that quite easily based on your conditioning.

I wish you luck, it sounds like a really great tour of the Angeles! Definitely something unique.
I could probably knock a day or even two off of the whole trip, but I like taking my time, taking way too many pictures, wandering offtrail to find deliciously large patches of miner's lettuce, etc. 8)

I'm kind of spoiled living right at the Mt Wilson Trailhead... What will your Wilson hike entail?
palmeredhackle

Post by palmeredhackle »

I'm down the road in arcadia, i'd be walking up santa anita to the mt wilson trailhead. I'm just planning to wait to do this until cooler weather. Perhaps June gloom will provide me a day soon to do it.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

If the campground is open during your trip, don't forget the water spigot at Buckhorn.

Sounds like a great trip!
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Wonder if there is a way to make this a loop trip? Door to door? :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That sounds pretty rad dude. I'd stash water like HikeUp said.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

That is a very cool plan. I was at Cooper Canyon trail camp a week ago, and the water was flowing well. Little Jimmy is known to be reliable, even in dry years, and enough people go that you can find recent info on water availability there.

The Shortcut Canyon trail has been fixed up by scouts, and is in good shape to hike. That trail is always hot though. Could be a 40 degree day in the winter, but you'll still feel hot climbing up that for some reason...

I hope you do it, and it's a great experience!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Taking the Silver Mocassin or ACH?

Camping at Little Jimmy during skeeter season? Thats a deal breaker LOL.