What Lizard?

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I was on the S Fork Trail (from Islip Saddle) on Wednesday, and I saw several of these guys (below). What are they?

HJ
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

http://www.californiaherps.com/lizards/ ... tores.html

Crotaphytus bicinctores - Great Basin Collared Lizard

It looks like these but it is way out of their range...
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Super nice photos Jim. You might want to send a message to that website Matt listed - they are always interested in sightings, especially because it does look like this one is way out of the known range. I've never seen one (though I don't notice lizards much anyway).

What a beautiful creature!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I saw more than one. The last two photos are of a second lizard. Their tails and feet are a yellowy color. They were all over the lower S. Fork Trail. They seemed at home.

Maybe I'll post a message to that site.

HJ
cab

Post by cab »

We saw one of those lizards in Union Wash a few weeks ago when we were on our way back from a hike of Inyo and Keynot Peaks (Inyo mountain range, NE of Lone Pine). I guess that is considered part of their home range, though. Pretty cool looking creatures.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I posted an observation. Their diagram of the lizard's range didn't make it look as though he was out of his range.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Listed as uncommon by Chester :D http://tchester.org/sgm/animals/lizards.html

Colorful creature - probably got its yellow feet from eating too many endangered MYLF (mountain yellow-legged frogs).
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote: Listed as uncommon by Chester :D http://tchester.org/sgm/animals/lizards.html

Colorful creature - probably got its yellow feet from eating too many endangered MYLF (mountain yellow-legged frogs).
"sometimes runs on two hind legs"

Now that would be cool to see!

HJ
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Really nice pics HJ. Great resolution and sharpness. What are you shooting with?
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hey Jim, thanks for posting those great pics. (I'm a little late on the subject - haven't checked in on the board lately as work has been thankfully busy.) I have been lucky enough to have noosed a few collared lizards near the Zzyzx area. It's pretty fun to chase them down while they're running bipedally!

I was just up on Mt Islip on Saturday (6/1) and was looking down on the South Fork trail. Is it in good condition?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Uncle Rico wrote: Really nice pics HJ. Great resolution and sharpness. What are you shooting with?
Rico, I'm shooting with a Sony Cybershot DSC-HX30V. Pretty nice camera although I understand that Sony is having some serious problems as a corporation. Not sure I'd buy anything from Sony right now.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Mike P wrote: I was just up on Mt Islip on Saturday (6/1) and was looking down on the South Fork trail. Is it in good condition?
OK but not great shape. A lot of loose slides on the trail, burying the tread. You just scramble up and over them; no big deal to me, but the guy I was with was freaking out.

HJ