20080522 Waterslide, San Antonio Canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I wrote up a TR, then my power supply fan gave me problems (every 5 months or so), and I had to shut down before it did its' usual thing with the hissing and the shutting-off abruptly.

So, to keep it simple, pictures and explanations!

Marc on the road in

Boulders for bouldering and such activities.

Looking down into the canyon, and the east wall at Waterslide.

Wall down the creek... not yet examined up close.

Lower spur on Ontario Peak

Marc and waterfall. There is a sport route that goes up the left side of the waterfall on that wall.

Pics of stuff

Frog on a class 4-5ish route we did

Going up said route. marc is wearing my helmet, sicne I'm above him. The rock is loose, so he had a better chance of being hit than I did.

Marc slowly rapping down, as he lacked gloves.

Myself on rappel

Cool dudes fishing at the bottom

Gurrz

Water

t was raining, then hailing, then thunder+lightning etc. Nothing big. The hail did sting a bit at times. The route was dry for the most part. I did it unroped the second time up to retrieve our ropes, and it was a bit wet then.

We headed out to my old hometown of Diamond Bar to grab some Korean food. My buddy Brian (Crazyazunboy on these forums) called me up, and asked if we wanted to go climb at Hangar 18 climbing gym. We accepted, ate, and left.

Some pics from that:
Brian on that damn orange route. Next time, gumdaengee.

Brian

Brian on belay, showing his stuff. lulz.

Marc climbing, while I yell random things at him.

VIDEOS

Marc rapping, and ze beginning:

Myself rapping while my camera sits upon an uncomfortable spot:

Feesh, and the end at Waterslide:

Climbing at Hangar 18:

Much false grunting occured, and we kept our shirts on the entire time.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Nice pics dude... Looks like a pretty badass place :wink: .........if you dont mind me asking.........how exactly do you get to the water hole :?:......... or did you happen to notice how deep the water was???? Thanks................
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

The water is probably 10ft+. It's off Barret-Stoddard Road. You take the turn off Baldy Rd, which is a right 1 (180 degrees, faces south) if you're going north. Goes downhill and turns left into a lot. park there. Boulders block unmaintained crappy asphalt road on the right. Take that down. You will see a gorge on your left. it's down there. Access is via a big scree ramp further down. Zen, be makin' yer way back upcanyon and yer there!
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Cool 8) .....sounds like Im going to have to check it out soon..........thanks
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Wow! This brings back some memories!

This used to be a wildly popular place in the 80's. Too popular actually, as it was fairly trashed with beer bottles and the like. but on a hot summer day, there was nothing like sliding down that slide! You'd sit in that chute (where the log now is in your pics) with the water just rushing around you, holding yourself in place with your arms on the rocks on both sides, let go, and you were off! There is a little rock lip just at the edge of the falls that would launch you into the air right into the center of the pool! Crazy, stupid fun! Ahh, the invincibility of youth!

There used to be an old metal cable a tad downstream to assist in your climb out. No one was sporting helmets back then!

Goodtimes! Thanks for the report!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It's all still there, just cleaner! There are some small cables, and a larger one up where we climbed as well.