PCT - Mt. Pacifico Segment: 05-12-2013

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hiked up the PCT from Mill Creek Summit to just below Pacifico, then returned via the access road 3N17. Mill Creek Summit was apparently toasted to a crisp during the Station Fire (last time I was up here was pre-fire 6 years ago). A lot of really nice trees were burned although there are a few pockets of old pine trees still around, especially as you near the summit. Returning via 3N17 offered some pretty nice views of Alder Creek, Round Top, Granite Mtn., etc.

PCT trail is in great shape - only 3 or 4 trees down across the trail. The road to Pacifico (i.e. 3N17) is closed as is the road to Gleason, although 3N17 is completely clear.

Pics. Forget my camera so I used my Blackberry.

Mill Creek Summit from 3N17...

On the PCT...
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Wow, those are some nice pictures from a cell phone camera. The great thing about the San Gabriel Mountains is that regardless of the type of camera you use, the pictures will still inspire.

I imagine it was a real scorcher today.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Sweet pics HikeUp. I haven't been over in that neck of the woods so its kinda cool seeing what it looks like. Almost 4 years on and it appears that the Mill Creek Summit area still has a way to go in terms of recovery.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Regarding the heat, I started a little after 6am and was back to car about 10:30am and I wouldn't have wanted to be out there any longer. The hike up was almost entirely shaded by the mountain so it was actually perfect. Once on the road though it is entirely exposed so I went as fast as I could and took as many shortcuts through the now brush free landscape that I could - dancing around the poodle dogs.

I had expected to see PCT thru hikers but saw two at the parking lot heading north and one guy packing up his tent. After that I saw no one.

Does anyone know why the sign says P.C. 2000? Is that a national forest trail number designation?...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Interesting. Glad to see there are still some pockets of trees.

Dunno why that sign would say PC 2000. Maybe some major trail work was done in 2000?

Nice hike.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Yeah I was glad to see that a lot of trees survived (although a lot didn't too). It's quite a contrast to be walking among the giant trees while simultaneously looking out over the wasteland that is the high desert.

Googling PC2000 seems to give me enough results to conclude it is the official USDA Forest Service Trail Number for the PCNST.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

woooah....

who still uses a Blackberry? :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Using a Blackberry is good for you. It keeps you humble. ;)

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Blackberry Torch - big screen, real keyboard and not an I-tard. :lol: