Suggestions for Dispersed Camping Near Yosemite?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
SageUrsus

Post by SageUrsus »

The subject line says it all. I plan on heading out on April 11th and staying for 10 days.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

How near do you want to be?
Are you looking for BLM land that would be free? I know they also have some campgrounds that are minimal fees on the west side near Mariposa.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
SageUrsus

Post by SageUrsus »

I would like to be as close as possible to "the valley(?)" so that I can hike in it during the day.
Free BLM land would be nice since I'm on a student budget but I don't mind forking up a few bucks if its close to the park.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Found this at USA Today:

Free Off-Highway Vehicle Camping
Off-road enthusiasts have a designated area near Yosemite for riding and camping. The community of Oakhurst, located at the southern entrance of Yosemite National Park, has a free campground adjacent to miles of off-road dirt trails. This area is known as Miami Motorcycle Trails and the campground is free but there are no amenities. To get there, travel south of Yosemite National Park on Highway 41 toward Fresno. Just prior to Oakhurst, look for a sign that points to a motorcycle trail area on the west side of the road. Then watch for the flat parking area on the left, which is where you can set up your base camp.

And of course the FS website:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sierra/ ... 0&actid=34
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
SageUrsus

Post by SageUrsus »

Thanks for the help JeffH.