Boring Hike Recommendations

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I've got friends, boring boring friends, who want to do a "2 hour" hike this weekend that's "not much more than a half hour drive" from Sherman Oaks that has "no chance of death or rescue".

Grumble.

That essentially eliminates everything I can think of. Before I get desperate and go Santa Monica Mountains, or even the Verdugos (which I think they would hate honestly), anything in Angeles that would fit this description?

I'm hesitant to do Eaton/Switzer/Sam Merrill/Chantry or anywhere else that one thousand other people would be... but I'm blanking on anything else that's boring. We could do 1st and 3rd falls of Rubio in 2 hours no problem, but I think that might be a bit more challenging then what they're up for.

Maybe I could get them to drive to Red Box? Any other ideas? Thanks!
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Sherman oaks galleria... I have nothing :shock:
VermillionPearlGirl

Haha :)
longcut

Post by longcut »

ha ha! awesome request!

Sometimes when I go with others, I meet them on a trail where I can do a fast peak climb early before they even arrive. That way the boring hike is a welcome long cooldown on tired legs and I enjoy chatting, more casual and stuff. I know, bag Boney peak and then meet them at Point Mugu to hike Mugu Peak!

Good luck.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

2 hours. Boring. Safe.

Sounds like a soccer game. On TV. With beer and pizza delivered.

You could wander around Deukmejian Park for awhile.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

You are talking the rainforest.
http://laist.com/2009/11/30/hiking_off_ ... hp#photo-1

Its not that bad for scenery demanding hikers honestly....for a one time deal. This is the place that the Runyon canyon people say they found this hidden gem 8) :roll: ...expect a number of people. The caveat is this is not the place for people with a poison oak phobia. Ive seen people terrified of it despite being away from any real danger.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

HikeUp wrote: 2 hours. Boring. Safe.

Sounds like a soccer game. On TV. With beer and pizza delivered.
wow hold up there. I think you have crossed the line!
am i the only one who likes "football" :oops:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Doh! :D I've tried to enjoy watching toeball, but to no avail.
VermillionPearlGirl

I love you all :)
AW wrote: This is the place that the Runyon canyon people say they found this hidden gem 8) :roll: ...expect a number of people.
I'm sorry, you're underestimating my friends. They have been to Fryman and Runyon! (But they have not been anywhere else).
longcut wrote: Sometimes when I go with others, I meet them on a trail where I can do a fast peak climb early before they even arrive. That way the boring hike is a welcome long cooldown on tired legs and I enjoy chatting, more casual and stuff. I know, bag Boney peak and then meet them at Point Mugu to hike Mugu Peak!
You know, I'm leaning Point Mugu actually. It's wildflower season so may as well. Wildflowers! Ocean! Waterfall! Valleys! A million other people! I think this is what they want.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Bill Riley Trail

The trailhead is the same one for the Mt Disappointment Road

It is a nice Oak and Pine shaded walk with good views of the High Country

Plenty of opportunities to get up on the road and walk back that way if the trail is too much

The only downside will be the tiny gnats but they'er out everywhere right now, so I'd recommend a bandana or headnet if you have'em

http://goo.gl/K5Ucx
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

For short & scenic, how about Sandstone Peak in the Santa Monica Mtns. Sure, its more than a 1/2 hour drive, and it'll have a lot of people on the trail, but its a nice view from the top. If you can get some time off during the week you'll have the place to yourself.

Also more than a 1/2 hour drive, but try Malibu Creek State Park. Nice streamside hiking along a canyon on a well-maintained trail back to where MASH and other TV shows were filmed.

Other than that, how about wandering around in an REI store (or A-16) for two hours?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

mattmaxon wrote: Bill Riley Trail

The trailhead is the same one for the Mt Disappointment Road
This was my first thought too. The drive isn't bad, (20 or 30 minutes from La Canada), the trail is not ever crowded, the views are fantastic, and it has a wilderness feel without being rugged or difficult.

Or you could go down into Arroyo Seco from Gould Mesa - 15 minute walk downhill on a fire road gets you into the streambed, while most weekend hikers don't make it that far up stream from the more popular trailhead at JPL. Then you have an almost level walk upstream as far as you feel like going.
VermillionPearlGirl

That trail is called Bill Riley? That's like my regular trail. Like I've hiked it literally 100 times. I do it a couple times a month, sometimes once a week. I didn't know it had a name :)

But yeah, I usually try to hit San Gabriel Peak on that hike which makes it longer, but I considered to the Saddle, at least you can see LA.

Also considered Sandstone, I've done that hike with people before. But it's closer to 3 hours with friends usually.

But seriously, this thread is invaluable. I definitely have to entertain non-hikers several times a year ("Oh, you hike? Let's go hiking!") and this is an amazing list of great options!!!!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

VermillionPearlGirl wrote: That trail is called Bill Riley?
Bill Riley was a trail maintainer who passed about 10 years ago now. His wife is still out there. kathy Riley

There used to be a memorial plaque at the top where the trail met the road.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Cool, I also never knew that trail had a name.

A little late, but it's also an awesome "secret" spot right after a winter storm. It tends to hold onto more snow than any other front range hike, as far as I know. Some pics from this past New Years Eve:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDqrPJe

If you do take this trail, and decide to head up to San Gabriel Peak (highly recommended, easy ascent and much better views than Mt Disappointment, being the highest peak in its vicinity), make sure you and your friends know what Poodle Dog Bush looks like... still lots of it up there.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

There are about a million different hikes through Griffith Park. I'm sure you could find one as boring as your friends.
VermillionPearlGirl

Gah. Griffith Park! (Gah! On a weekend!)

Yeah, the poodle dog on San Gabriel is still pretty rough. It's worse when you're taking that trail up from Eaton Saddle.

But yeah, in the past I've taken people up the trail-we-now-know-is-called-Bill-Riley, Sandstone Peak, and Rubio Canyon. I've also done Jones Peak with people but that's pretty tough. Oh, and Sunset Peak. That was a big hit.

But yes, this time, to the Santa Monica Mountains we go :)

Hope everyone else has enjoyable weekend hikes!