Henninger Flats 5-18-08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

me and my brother rode our beach cruisers from Huntington Beach to Long Beach, then hopped on the Metro Trains and ended up on Lake St in Pasadena. We decided to lock up our bikes and walk up to Henninger Flats.

It felt hot so we wanted shade and knew Henninger had it. We get up there in a hour, having sweated about 3 gallons each, and spent about 2 hrs up there exploring and napping. It was still TOO hot.

the Grasses are now dead as spring sprung a long time ago, and the whole place looks dead. it was still nice, but now it is the High Country season! and nothing beats the SG high country!

we got back to the Eaton Canyon Visitor Center at 4pm, and it was 98*. The Lady working there said that it was 103* up at Henninger Flats at 1:30, right about the time we we there.

I drank 3 2-liter platypus bladders and 3 1.5-liter nalgene bottles of water, and still felt dehydrated.

sorry i dont have pictures, we forgot the camera. :(
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

yall are insane dude :lol:
Tim

Post by Tim »

I think I'm heading back to the high country at well! Less bugs up there too.

As a side note, I was in Pasadena today for a roller blading class. It was so freakin hot on that Rose Bowl blacktop. After about an hour and a half one girl was overcome by the heat and we had to call 911 and roll the fire department. I've never seen someone go into heat exhaustion before and it surprised me at how fast and without warning it occurs. She was really close to blacking out, but after laying her down, elevating her legs and cooling her with water and ice she snapped out of it. Still, she agreed to be taken to the hospital as a precaution. Man, you wouldn't want this to happen to you on the side of a mountain. I heard they had to helo someone off the Skyline Route in Palm Springs this weekend for similar heat related problems.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Tim. It was cookin in Pasadena today. I was one block from where you were. Hot baby!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Dudley Heinsbergen wrote:me and my brother rode our beach cruisers from Huntington Beach to Long Beach, then hopped on the Metro Trains and ended up on Lake St in Pasadena. We decided to lock up our bikes and walk up to Henninger Flats.

It felt hot so we wanted shade and knew Henninger had it. We get up there in a hour, having sweated about 3 gallons each, and spent about 2 hrs up there exploring and napping. It was still TOO hot.
Is the dirt road open again? Last I heard there was a big slide and Henninger was only accessible (motor vehicle) via Eaton Saddle.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Dudley Heinsbergen wrote:me and my brother rode our beach cruisers from Huntington Beach to Long Beach, then hopped on the Metro Trains and ended up on Lake St in Pasadena. We decided to lock up our bikes and walk up to Henninger Flats.

Is the dirt road open again? Last I heard there was a big slide and Henninger was only accessible (motor vehicle) via Eaton Saddle.
somthin doesn't make sense here, either dudley did not go to henninger flats or got his street on lake mixed up with hill or allan (not you allank) or altadena dr. And the toll road is still messed up past the bridge. the road from eaton saddle doesn't go to henninger flats. :? the toll road from the top does, maybe that's what you meant.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

FIGHT ON wrote:somthin doesn't make sense here, either dudley did not go to henninger flats or got his street on lake mixed up with hill or allan (not you allank) or altadena dr. And the toll road is still messed up past the bridge. the road from eaton saddle doesn't go to henninger flats. :? the toll road from the top does, maybe that's what you meant.
He mentioned the Eaton Canyon Visitor Center, indicating that he took the toll road, picking his way around the closed section.

BTW, there is an "Allen" (but no "Allan") street in Pasadena. "Allen" and "Allan" are misspellings of "Alan." And no, I don't care how anyone spells my name, but will occasionally yield to temptation and comment anyway. :-) I have been through this discussion before and we managed to find a guy out there whose name is Alan Allan Allen, or some permutation thereof.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

AlanK wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:somthin doesn't make sense here, either dudley did not go to henninger flats or got his street on lake mixed up with hill or allan (not you allank) or altadena dr. And the toll road is still messed up past the bridge. the road from eaton saddle doesn't go to henninger flats. :? the toll road from the top does, maybe that's what you meant.
He mentioned the Eaton Canyon Visitor Center, indicating that he took the toll road, picking his way around the closed section.
OK, so Henninger Flats road is still a bit of a mess. Gotcha. That's what I thought. But apparently not too bad if people can bypass it with bikes.

Yes, the toll road goes from Wilson to Henninger. The road from Eaton Saddle comes out near Millard Falls. I think I've got that right, yes? :? :? :? Sorry for the confusion.
AlanK wrote:"Allen" and "Allan" are misspellings of "Alan."
Of course they are. I'm glad we could get an unbiased opinion on that. :lol:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote: I think I've got that right, yes? :? :? :? Sorry for the confusion.

AlanK wrote:"Allen" and "Allan" are misspellings of "Alan."

Come on Jim, you know that!

If I was AlanK, I would gladly accept the additional l in my name. I would use them for hiking sticks! oh yes I would AlanK! OH YES I WOULD!
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

from lake st we went east on alta dena rd down to the bridge at the bottom of Eaton Cyn.

im terribly sorrow for misleading you guys
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

No problem, bro. Our misinterpretation. How hard was it to get a bike up to Henninger Flats? How bad is the washout on the road?
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

The road from Eaton cyn to Henninger is closed but is passable on foot. There are many slides that have closed down all but narrow sections. The longer it is closed the more mother nature reclaims.
It looks like a lot of work to reopen
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote: How hard was it to get a bike up to Henninger Flats?
:shock: Jim, I think you misread it. :shock: