Ellen

Post by Ellen »

From Manker up RR to summit, down Ski hut route:

http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic.php?p=34547

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Marty

Post by Marty »

Thanks for the update. So the bowl still has good coverage? Haven't heard much about it lately.
ZY101

Post by ZY101 »

The bowl had decent coverage yesterday. The northern half was more rocky and exposed from all the sun. The snow it did have looked pretty thin. I had my snowshoes so I took a line straight up from the creek just east of San Antonio falls, up register ridge to Harwood, then up to Baldy. I talked to a couple on the summit and they said there was a lot of snow on the Ski Hut trail. The snow was consistent though, it was mostly hard pack and ice.

I have some pics here: http://www.photographybyzachyoung.co/Sa ... inter-Hike
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the update ZY.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy All,

Went up yesterday with my buddy Calicokat Jim. The bowl didn't look good :cry: -- what a change in just four days. We went up Register to Harwood, then Baldy, then west Baldy, then down ski hut. Put microspikes right before the summit of Baldy. Ran into Mr. and Mrs. Baldy (Edith and Martin) coming up ski hut once we traversed back over from west Baldy. Compared to my post holing experience last Thursday, most of the new snow was gone. Put on crampons to drop the 500 ft down through the trees to the base of the bowl -- the existing snow was either ice or slushy :? Booted it from the base of the bowl back to the car. The bowl looked even worse on our way down. Headed over to San Gorgonio tomorrow to find snow.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen