Need recommendations for a hike this weekend

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

It's my turn to pick a peak to bag....and so, I'm looking for ideas. The parameters:

* In the San Gabs....don't want to drive more than maybe 30 mins from Pasadena.....20 would be better.
* Short hike, so probably 2-3.5K vertical....and something like 6-12 miles total would be fine. I don't have literally all day. Something that eats up 5-6 hours is more than enough.

Stuff we've already done include Lowe, Wilson, San Gabriel, Lukens, Smith, Baldy (via pretty much every route), Big Iron, Cucamonga, Ontario, Timber, Dawson, Pine...I actually haven't summited Brown, but I don't think there's a "quick" option there?

Was thinking about maybe Rattlesnake....but that's a little bit of a drive, and I think it's a fairly long hike up the river just to get near the start of the climb itself? Any ideas?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Mt. Bliss.
cab

Post by cab »

How about Jones/Hastings/Yale? Roundtrip would be around 9 miles, 4,000 gain. If 4k gain is too much, you could turn around at the top of Hastings and skip Yale.
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

Thanks Hike Up and Cab! I'll check those out!! MUCH appreciated.
FiveCharlie

Post by FiveCharlie »

Rattlesnake is a pretty short hike.
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

Thanks for tip! We ended up doing Jones and Hastings. The route we took was up the old Mt Wilson trail (stopped into Lizzie's for some historical stuff which was actually very cool. Jay filled us in on some great info). Went up to Orchard Camp and stopped for a bite. Then went back down Mt. Wilson Trail to the steep cutoff over to Baily Canyon Trail. Went up and knocked off Hastings, then back down to bag Jones....then back to Sierra Madre and a couple beers at Lucky Baldwin's.
:D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

BrownMtnBob wrote: Blah blah blah...then back to Sierra Madre and a couple beers at Lucky Baldwin's.
Great TR!