pk 5171 from ACH 2/18/13

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

A short hike out to this unnamed peak from the Angeles Crest Highway elev 5111. From the parking lot, its a huge net elevation gain of...brace yourself...60ft. The peak itself is overgrown, but there is a use trail.

The Upper Big Tujunga canyon is still closed from the Station Fire for recovery efforts. Part of this recovery :( is the obliteration of the terrain. There were several new roads carved into the hillside and the new power structures being put into place. They are camouflaged into the terrain with bright orange tops. Now you too can travel the road with wires 20ft above your car(I would presume they arent live). Cool helicopter action, but I did wonder now they reach the ACH where are they going next.

Towards Twin Peaks

60ft? Ha! The trickery begins. Its not that easy to bag this peak as the trail immediately drops.

The peak from 200ft down on of its ridges.

Devils canyon,Cogswell, San Gabriel river,etc

Baldy and Ontario peaks

closeup of last picture - background Ontario and foreground is pk 5014 and behind that Little Mermaid peak.

The ridges heading up to West Twin
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Looks like someone is doing some recon! Nice views.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: Looks like someone is doing some recon! Nice views.
LOL...no! dont send me down this thing and then I have to hike back up that shortcut canyon trail misery. Although this did reinforce that I better have a good reason to go over that West Twin ridge...I think I'll be skipping that this year if the rainfall remains like this.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

AW wrote: dont send me down this thing and then I have to hike back up that shortcut canyon trail misery.
Shortcut canyon...ah yes, I would rather take a long-cut myself.

Congrats on your impressive 60' summit achievement!